Stopping Start up apps

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Longboard, Aug 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

I want to stop a couple of apps from running at start up.
    Not windows services, I have already trimmed them.
    A couple of apps that launch with boot-up:
    clean-up apps, an antivirus app and some others.
    How do I do this without (or with VERY clear instructions :eek: ) editing the registry.

Running XP2.

The apps do not have a tick box option for "run at start up".

I do not want to uninstall these, just have them on demand rather than starting with XP.

CCleaner has an option to "delete" start up Reg keys. Will this stop the apps running at the next start up?.

Finally, if I remove these from start-up then decide I want them back, how to do this?

Thanks.

Regards.

2. wherethebeef

wherethebeef Guest

go to:

START, ...RUN.....type in MSCONFIG.....a new window should open an on the upper right side you will see START UP

CAREFUL.......if you don't know the program don't un-check it

3. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Option 1: MSConfig

Start | Run | MSCONFIG <enter>
    Click the "Startup" tab
    check/uncheck any processes you do not want to have start up
    Reboot

Option 2: Regedit

Start | Run | REGEDIT <enter>
    Browse to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Delete anything you do not want to start up
    *Be very careful when deleting entries from the registry, you can prevent vital programs from starting up properly*

Option 3: StartUp Folder

Start | Programs | Startup
    Delete anything inside you do not wish to start up (if anything)

Hope that helps :)

4. wherethebeef

wherethebeef Guest

DEFINITELY DO NOT DO THIS:

CCleaner has an option to "delete" start up Reg keys. Will this stop the apps running at the next start up?.

NO WAY DO THAT NO WAY DO THAT DON'T DO THAT

5. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Do not do what? Modify the startup programs?

6. wherethebeef

wherethebeef Guest

CAPP

NO! aDVISING HIM NOT TO USE CRAPCLEAN TO UN-INSTALL REG KEYS.

IS THERE A PROBLEMo_O

7. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Nope, I just didn't know if you were referring to:

No don't use CrapClean

-or-

no, don't listen to Capp ;)

I agree though :D

8. Longboard

Thankyou.

9. dog

dog Guest

Here are a few more options if you have either Spybot or RegSeeker on board, but of them can disable those startups for you, while giving you the option to re-allow should you need.

Spybot - Advance Mode -> Tools -> System Startup and uncheck whatever you don't want to startup.

RegSeeker - Startup Entries - highlight and right-click the entry you'd like to disable select startup entries -> disable selected entry

Steve

10. wherethebeef

wherethebeef Guest

CAPP

LOL, no my friend I would never be so rude as to tell someone not to listen to your instructions.......actually I thought your comment was saying that I was advising him incorrectly.......ah, the world of communication..how we humans do get confused LOL I am well known as being a very confused person.....my lady friend tells me that all the time...

11. Capp

Capp Registered Member

LOL, at least we have enough intelligence not to start flaming each other over a miscommunication.

At least LongBoard got the answer they needed :)

12. Wherethebeef

Wherethebeef Guest

CAPP

This is off topic but Longboard has his answer an this brief comment wont harm anything.

Since I only recently began posting at the forum I am as yet un-known.
    Its only natural that the members don't know my personality so let me assure everyone that I am not a Flamer. Thats such a waste of time and rather pointless. My day is very busy with work an sometimes I tend to be overly blunt and too the point but I have no desire to be rude with anyone anywhere in the world. I would leave a forum before entering into a flame.
    To all members and posters I extend my fond wishes for a pleasent day an a lifetime of happiness and joy. An if ever my words come out in-correctly please forgive me an know in your heart that its not intended.

13. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Well I, for one, appreciate the sentiment. Too often people take things out of context and the next thing you know, they are arguing with the "regulars" at a forum about something stupid.

I too refuse to get into a flame war over anything. I have better things to do than argue with somebody. :)

14. Notok

Notok Registered Member

My favorite free app for controlling startups is AutoRuns by SysInternals. Far better than msconfig, IMO, and very handy to have around. Does not require any install.

15. Ailric

Ailric Guest

16. Longboard

Thanks all

Yes; have just dld Autoruns.
    Does it permanently "take-out" the start-ups.?

OOOps forgot about SBS&D tools.

NOW:
    How do I get the start-ups back again if I stop them in any of these ways, and how do I add new start-ups?

>>trembling with anticipation<< :)

Regards

17. Notok

Notok Registered Member

If you just "un-check" the entry AutoRuns will not permanently remove it, per se.. but if you right-click and "delete entry" it will.

Hehe, that's why it's better to just take the check out of it until you're sure you don't need it anymore. You can also right-click in the area you want to create a new entry in and ''jump to" that location in explorer/regedit, and create an entry there yourself.

Even better at this stuff is RegRun (http://www.regrun.com/), but it's not free.

18. BuckSnort_

BuckSnort_ Registered Member

By far the best way I found to stop apps from loading is by using WinPatrol. Can remove/reinstall anytime you want and is outstanding at protecting your computer!

19. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I have a question, maybe a stupid one...;)

Since he is using XP, what would he need to download and install a program to do the same thing that msconfig does? I've never understood the reasoning behind downloading and installing apps to do the most mundane of tasks.

This is not speaking towards anybody here, don't get me wrong. But, he originally asked how to do it in XP, and we told him. Then, people starting saying..."Download this and it will do it for you..."

I am just curious as to why you would want to have extra software taking up hard drive space when it is not necessary? :)

20. RobZee

RobZee Registered Member

Capp -

I've heard that also, but I'm not sure as to any technical reason. However, doesn't msconfig require a reboot after changing startup selections?

I am very satisfied using WinPatrol because it eliminates the need for a reboot to put into effect as well as the option to review active programs, services, etc.

Rob

21. Capp

Capp Registered Member

yes msconfig requires a reboot, but you don't have to do it right then. Since they are wanting to stop start-up programs, none of them will take affect until it is rebooted.

I'm not anti-program at all. I myself write programs for me to use to manage windows, but only because I think it's fun. I wouldn't download someone else's program to do simple tasks that I can do on my own. That's all :)

22. Notok

Notok Registered Member

msconfig simply annoys me to no end as a tool, and AutoRuns covers a lot more. It's just plain good to have around. That's all :)

Plus the ability to hide verified MS components makes it a little safer and easier to find just the things you want.

As far as WinPatrol and others, I can see both sides of what you're saying.. if you've got something that keeps coming back it would probably be worth getting a monitoring program.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2005
  23. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

I'm always using Ace Utilities to remove/add startup entries, but then again it's not free either.
    Adding a startup entry is really easy, just click Add and point to the EXE-file and AI will do the rest. :cool:

24. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Notok gave a very good answer, but in addition to what he said, the one's by third parties generally contain a lot more information. This can be intimidating, but also interesting as you start to recognize what different parts of the registry are for. In many cases what you want to stop will not even be named in msconfig. my startup in msconfig has but 15 lines. the free DCS ASViewer shows about forty. the one from sysinternals has 3 pages (most of which are mystries to me). anyway here is a shot of ASViewer. I like it because I feel like I understand just about the right percentage of what they list

Lastly, the startup area really is not all that mundane. Thats where a lot of problems are fixed!

-HandsOff

- HandsOff

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.