Stopped at the start...

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pollyanna, Aug 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pollyanna

pollyanna Registered Member

Hello there,

After a whole lot of holdups I've at last got Acronis T I 8 on my machine and it looks good. My problem is that my first job of making a boot disk is stopped by the error message "Error Burning The Bootable CD-R/CD-RW. This happened with a new CD-R and a formatted CD-RW. The software is B's Clip and it that has been trouble free too. No trouble making the 6 floppies version but that will not help with burning an image. My burner is an LG Suoer Multi DVD Drive GSA-4081B around a year old and has given no troubles so far. I've been looking for the list of burners supported by Acronis. and if someone could tell me where to find them I'll go take a look. But any suggestions on how to proceed would be really good. P. System details below. o_O

Computer
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    OS Service Pack Service Pack 1
    Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 (IE 6.0 SP1)
    DirectX 4.09.00.0902 (DirectX 9.0b)r

Motherboard
    CPU Type Intel Pentium 4HT, 3000 MHz (15 x 200)
    Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-8IG (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM, Audio, Video)
    Motherboard Chipset Intel Springdale-G i865G
    System Memory 496 MB (DDR SDRAM)
    BIOS Type Award Modular (12/22/03)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
    Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display
    Video Adapter Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller (64 MB)
    3D Accelerator Intel Extreme Graphics 2
    Monitor LG Flatron ez T710BH [17" CRT] (141057655)

Multimedia
    Audio Adapter SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio (Gigabyte)

Storage
    IDE Controller Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
    Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
    Disk Drive ST3120026A (120 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
    Optical Drive HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4081B (DVD+RW:8x/4x, DVD-RW:4x/2x, DVD-RAM:3x, DVD-ROM:12x, CD:24x/16x/32x DVD+RW/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM)
    SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions
    C: (NTFS) 107999 MB (98507 MB free)
    D: (NTFS) 6471 MB (1980 MB free)
    Controller Intel 82801EB(M) ICH5(-M) - Enhanced USB2 Controller

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Pollyanna,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please try to use the next tips in order to solve this problem:

- Eject any disc from the burner prior to starting the application;
    - Proceed until the program asks for a disc and open the tray;
    - Insert a disc and then click the OK button
    to close the tray automatically as well.

If that doesn't help then we also recommend you to update
    third party CD writing software if any to the latest version
    available for free on its respective web site.

Please also note that you should use a blank unformatted CD-R or CD-RW
    in order to create a bootable rescue disc.
    Please be aware that this is a normal situation when a DVD writer
    is shown as a CD burner in Acronis True Image.
    This doesn't affect the device's functionality and you can use DVD.

Please let me know if nothing of the listed above helps.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Pollyanna,

If Alexey's tips don't work then try the following:

Open "My Computer", right click on your DVD recorder and select "Properties". Click on the "Recording" tab and uncheck the tickbox marked "Enable CD recording on this drive".

If that doesn't work either, then boot into Windows Safe mode (Press F8 just prior to Windows loading), start TI and try to create the boot rescue disk again.

Regards

4. dld

dld Registered Member

To add to what Menorcaman has suggested re starting in Safe Mode, I would also stop your packet writing software from loading by Start\Run\msconfig\Startup and unchecking your packet writing software. For my case, with Ahead InCD as packet writing software, the only way I can create a bootable rescue disk is to go into Safe Mode and also prevent InCD from loading.

5. Menorcaman

Hi dld,

What version of InCD are you using? Version 4.3.11.1 and higher automatically disables Windows XP's built-in drag-and-drop CD recording capability and contain a large number of bug fixes and improvements.

Personally, I've been using InCD since version "blah" and have never had a problem creating the Acronis rescue CD. I guess maybe I've just been lucky ;).

Regards

6. dld

dld Registered Member

I'm using InCD 4.3.14.1. I could create a bootable rescue disk with ATI 8.0.862 and 8.0.859 by playing around with the eject button on my burner. But with ATI 8.0.889 nothing would work. It would seem to me InCD would not release the drive. I finally got it to work in Safe Mode, but by also preventing InCD.exe from loading. One should not however disable InCDsrv.exe through Task Manager. Trying this destabilizes your computer and it will lock up on you.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2005
  7. Menorcaman

Hi dld,

Instead of preventing InCD's startup and booting into Windows Safe mode, try disabling the "IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service" in Computer Management > Services (right click on the service, select "Properties" and set the "Startup type:" to "Disabled"). Some users have found that this does the trick for them. However, I would only do this temporarily as a number of Microsoft apps (e.g. Media Player) will throw a wobbly if this service isn't running.

Regards

8. pollyanna

Hi...Many thanks for the replies. I'll print them out and go through them carefully, but I'm a slow worker so it will probably take me a while. I'll let you know how it goes. By the way...do you find that you have to make these changes each time you burn an image?

Thanks again.... P.

9. Menorcaman

Hi Pollyanna,

I'm not familiar with B Clip software. However, if it installs its own UDF packet writing application (i.e. drag-and-drop copying to CD/DVD rewritable media) then you can leave the Windows "Enable CD recording on this drive" checkbox unticked.

If you don't possess packet writing software, or you have a problem creating images direct to preformatted CD/DVD rewritable disks, then use the alternative two-step method. See <Acronis True Image Online FAQ #20> for details.

Regards

10. dld

dld Registered Member

Hi Tom.. I tried your suggestion this morning. My IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service had been set to Manual. I disabled it. I also allowed InCD.exe to load on boot, then I rebooted my computer and allowed WinXP HE SP2 to load. I then attempted to create a bootable recovery CD, leaving the tray of my CD-RW drive open with a blank CD in the tray (I've never had any success with a CD-RW disk). After about 10 minutes, I get the error message that the recovery disk could not be created. At this point, going to My Computer, the CD-RW drive does not show up. Of course the Eject button on the drive is inoperative. On rebooting, I can then eject the disk from the CD-RW drive. So it's back to creating recovery disks in the Safe Mode with InCD.exe disabled.

Good news. I just updated to ATI 8.0.903. I can now create a bootable recovery CD-R disk while in WinXP HE SP2 without going into Safe Mode and without disabling InCD.exe. I did have to touch the eject button on my CD-RW drive once. The green light, which had been steady green, started blinking as it should, the red light eventually coming on indicating the burn process in progress. Maybe I was just trigger-happy about touching the eject button. I've created enough coasters for just now. I then tried using a CD-RW disk to create a bootable rescue disk. Again the green light was at first steady. On touching the eject button, the green light started blinking. But it was no-go. After a couple of minutes, the tray opened and I got the error message that a rescue disk could not be created.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2005
  11. Menorcaman

Hi again dld,

Well, that's certainly a big step in the right direction!! Hope you remembered to set the IMAPI service back to manual. It Seems strange though that you need to twitch the Eject button in order to get it to start burning. What happens if you insert a blank CD-R and close the tray manually before clicking the Proceed button - does the green activity light blink for a while? If so, wait for it to stop blinking and then click Proceed.

Hmm, that's even more strange. It's just a thought but had you previously InCD formatted that CD-RW? If so, can we assume that you carried out an InCD erase before using it for the rescue CD? This will remove the UDF packet writing format and thereby return the disk to normal, which is what's needed for the rescue CD. Apols in advance if this seems a bit of a dumb question but you never know ;).

Regards
    Tom

Regards

Last edited: Aug 11, 2005
  12. dld

dld Registered Member

Not a dumb question (but a dumb operator here).
    Yes, all my CD-RW disks were formatted for InCD. I've never really had to erase a CD-RW disk. I've spent some time now trying to understand what is going on. In My Computer, if I right-click my CD-RW drive, I get the options of doing the following: InCD Format, InCD Erase, Erase this CD-RW (see here). Erase this CD-RW brings up a Roxio Wizard. This option is to be avoided. InCD Erase does a better job of erasing. I also discovered that, after having done an initial full Erase, I could use Quick Erase subsequently.

Now for the problem of creating an ATI bootable rescue disk using a blank CD-RW disk. I spent a couple hours trying to figure out some pattern as to what is going on. At least with CD-RW disks, I'm not making coasters. On clicking Proceed, the CD-RW tray closes and the green activity light briefly blinks, then stays steady green. The Processing, Please Wait window appears. If I twitch the eject button while the processing dial is running, the tray opens. I have to twitch eject while the processing dial is stopped. Then the activity light will blink. I may have to do this a number of times before the activity light remains blinking. The last time I tried the activity light blinked for 5 full minutes before finally turning red, indicating the burning process had started.

I've had to do this twitching for ATI 8.0.862, 8.0.859 and 8.0.903 using both CD-R and now CD-RW disks. For ATI 8.0.889 no amount of twitching would do anything. I hope these details will be of help to other users. And I hope Acronis can do something to fix this problem in future builds.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2005
  13. Menorcaman

This makes me think that you may have both InCD and Drag-to-Disk (Roxio's version of UDF Packet Writing software) installed. If that's the case then this is not good and I would strongly recommend you uninstall any Roxio software and stick with Nero Burning ROM/InCD instead.

After a disk has been InCD formatted you should be able to use the Quick Erase straight away. You only really need to use Full Erase if you wish to clear sensitive data off the disk for security reasons.

If you don't have two packet writing applications running in parallel or, if you do, removing Roxio's version doesn't have any effect, then I'm inclined to think there is some form of timing issue between True Image and your CD/DVD recorder during the disk initialization phase.

Going by the number of similar post to this Forum, this seems to be area of the program that might benefit from careful scrutiny by the Acronis Development Team.

Regards

14. pollyanna

Please try to use the next tips in order to solve this problem:

If that doesn't help then we also recommend you to update
    third party CD writing software if any to the latest version
    available for free on its respective web site.

Please also note that you should use a blank unformatted CD-R or CD-RW
    in order to create a bootable rescue disc.
    Please be aware that this is a normal situation when a DVD writer
    is shown as a CD burner in Acronis True Image.
    This doesn't affect the device's functionality and you can use DVD.

Please let me know if nothing of the listed above helps.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Hello Alexey...Well THANK YOU...I've made my Boot CD-R and it works fine. :)

I went through the steps that you sent and found that I had done them slightly differently, and wrongly, during my failed attempts. Next try will be to make an image and check it.

There is something that I would like to understand, not in detail...just an outline would do. When I press "Start" to commence burning to dissk what happens next? I have a couple of burner programs on my machine and they were both closed. Does Acronis search for software for packet writing, start it up and use that, or does Acronis use burner software of its own.

If you or anyone who has time could tell me I would be very gratefull

But thanks again for making my day. P.

15. pollyanna

Alexey....I should have said that I didn't have to go any further than these 4 lines.

Thanks P.

16. Menorcaman

Hi pollyanna,

No, True Image doesn't carry out a search and start your CD/DVD burning software.

The only time it doesn't require third party burning software is when it creates a bootable rescue CD. therefore, when imaging "direct" to CD/DVD, your UDF packet writing (i.e. drag-and-drop) software needs to be already running in the background and the CD/DVD rewritable disks preformatted with this program prior to starting True Image.

Regards

17. dld

dld Registered Member

I very definitely do not have any Roxio (Adaptec) product on my computer. For some reason this morning when I right-click my CD-RW drive I don't get the same list of options as I was getting yesterday. Yesterday I was getting this, today I get that. I need to have something else explained to me. Although I have InCD 4.3.14.1 and my computer is set to load InCD.exe on booting, yesterday and also this morning on booting the Windows recording software shown here was enabled (the box was ticked). That is the window I get when I right-click my CD-RW drive, choose properties, then recording. I thought InCD disabled this software. Is it not true that the Windows recording software was developed by Roxio? If so, this may explain why I was getting this screen.

I've just finished doing further experimentation. (I feel better about doing this now that I know how to use blank CD-RW disks.) I know now that InCD 4.3.14.1 will not disactivate Windows Desktop CD Recording. I have to do this manually. It took 3 minutes to create a bootable rescue disk in Safe Mode. Again it took a certain amount of twitching the Eject button. It took 7 minutes to create a bootable rescue disk in regular WinXP HE SP2 mode. Again the Eject button had to be twitched. I can only conclude that for me at least, creating a bootable rescue disk is a hit and miss exercise in frustration. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason to the way Acronis creates a rescue disk either in Safe Mode or in Regular Mode. This when I can create a bootable rescue disk in less than 30 seconds on a friend's computer.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2005
  18. Acronis Support

Hello pollyanna,

I'm glad to hear that you have successfully created Bootable Rescue CD.

Menorcaman is not completely correct answering your second question, since Acronis True Image 8.0 has it's own CD recording module which is used in both cases: when you are creating Bootable Rescue CD and when you are burning your images directly to CDs.

For example, if you booted from Acronis True Image 8.0 Bootable Rescue CD there are no operating system or CD recording applications running, but you still can burn your images to CDs.

Acronis True Image 8.0 requires the additional software only in case your are going to burn your images directly to DVDs.

Please read more on how to burn images to DVD here.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

19. Acronis Support

Hello dld,

Please use the below procedure in order to blank your CD-RW disc, then try to create Bootable Rescue CD using this blank CD-RW disc and see if the problem still persists.

- Insert a disc into the CD-RW drive;
    - Start command prompt;
    - Go to \Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\CDRecord folder*;
    - Run "cdrecord –scanbus" command, find the CD-RW drive in the device list and notice three digits in its line;
    - Run "cdrecord dev=#,#,# blank=fast" command where "#,#,#" are those three digits you noticed;
    - Wait until the disc has been blanked.

* Use "cd <folder name>" command to switch the current folder.

If the problem still persists and you still can not create Bootable Rescue CD using blank CD-RW, even when booted into Windows Safe Mode, then please do the following:

- Start command prompt;
    - Go to \Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\CDRecord folder;
    - Run "cdrecord –scanbus > scanbus.txt" command and collect the scanbus.txt file.

Send the collected file to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Please also note that you will probably be asked to provide the special log file, which I unfortunately can not request via forum.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

20. dld

dld Registered Member

Hi Alexei.. I tried entering the commands you suggested at the cmd prompt, but I seem to get an error:

http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/487/dcp02788jo.jpg

Also, at the end point where I'm at, I can't enter "cd <folder name>" command. The cursor is just there blinking.

21. Menorcaman

Hello Alexey,

Sorry, my mistake. Thank you for the correction and my applogies to Pollyanna for any confusion I may have caused.

Regards

22. Menorcaman

Yes, If Windows XP's drag-and-drop capability isn't disabled then that explains it. However, there is something strange here as, since I installed InCD 4.3.11.1, the Recording tab in the Properties window has been replaced with an InCD tab (see screenshot below). Hence reason I've been advising that later versions of InCD disable the Windows CD recording feature.

It might be worth you uninstalling InCD, unchecking "Enable CD recording on this drive" on the Recording tab and then re-installing InCD.

Regards

Attached Files:

23. dld

dld Registered Member

Hi Alexey.. The procedure you suggested is not for the uninitiated. I tried to erase a CD-RW disk three times, the first time (error), the second time (success), the third time (error).

Using the CD-RW disk erased successfully, I was unable to create a bootable rescue disk using WinXP HE SP2 after waiting for 13 minutes. I finally ejected the disk and got this error message:

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/4154/screenhunter78hy.jpg

I then tried creating a rescue disk in Safe Mode. I was successful in doing this without touching the eject button in a time of 4 minutes. I then thought I would give it a second try. But first I had to erase the disk according to your directions. This is when I encountered my second error and gave up.

I have set up a batch file to eliminate any chance of input error. I ran it successfully this morning with this result:

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/9272/screenhunter12copy1xq.jpg

Where I wrote the note: Press eject button at this point is where the program stopped. The activity light at this point was steady green. When I pressed the eject button at this point, the program continued to a successful end. If I then try to repeat the procedure using the the same batch file, the program cannot find the burner and I keep getting this error:

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/7458/screenhunter133qm.jpg

Rebooting fixed things. Four times consecutively I was able to erase the RW disk and create a bootable rescue disk in Safe Mode. For those who are having the same difficulty as I was creating a bootable rescue disk and would like to try this method, here are the instructions for creating the batch file.
    1) - Insert a disc into the CD-RW drive;
    - Start command prompt;
    - Go to \Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\CDRecord folder*;
    - Run "cdrecord –scanbus" command, find the CD-RW drive in the device list and notice three digits in its line, say #,#,#
    2) Create this file and give it the name "blank.bat" (without quotes).
    cd \program files\common files\acronis\cdrecord
    cdrecord dev=#,#,# blank=fast
    3) Since my Dos-emulation opens in C:\Documents and Settings\Owner> it was simplest to place this file in the folder Owner.
    4) Open Windows Explorer and right-click the file "blank.bat" in the Owner folder. Choose to create a shortcut. Right-click on this shortcut, choose to SendTo the Start menu.
    5) To run the program, double-click on the shortcut in your Start menu
    6) Follow the instructions on this screen:

http://img282.imageshack.us/img282/613/screenhunter16copy3wq.jpg

Thank you Alexey

Last edited: Aug 13, 2005
  24. dld

dld Registered Member

Hi Tom.. With my version 4.3.14.1 of InCD (the latest available), I get these tabs:

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/4002/screenhunter114gi.jpg

As you can see, I have the Recording tab. However, as mentioned, InCD will not automatically disable Windows Recording. I have to do it manually. In Post #5 of this thread you say: "Version 4.3.11.1 and higher automatically disables Windows XP's built-in drag-and-drop CD recording capability and contain a large number of bug fixes and improvements."
    Do you think uninstalling and reinstalling InCD will make a difference?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2005
  25. pollyanna

Hello pollyanna,

I'm glad to hear that you have successfully created Bootable Rescue CD.

Menorcaman is not completely correct answering your second question, since Acronis True Image 8.0 has it's own CD recording module which is used in both cases: when you are creating Bootable Rescue CD and when you are burning your images directly to CDs.

For example, if you booted from Acronis True Image 8.0 Bootable Rescue CD there are no operating system or CD recording applications running, but you still can burn your images to CDs.

Acronis True Image 8.0 requires the additional software only in case your are going to burn your images directly to DVDs.

Please read more on how to burn images to DVD here.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

More thanks Alexey...The above reply will prevent me from making some more mistakes...I must spend some time now reading up on the disks that Acronis prefers. Somehow I arrived here thinking that only -RW disks were used with Acronis. Cheers...P. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.