Stop using Avira, or not?

Discussion in 'polls' started by koliko, Jun 21, 2011.

?

Are you planning to stop using Avira?

1. Yes, I'm going to stop using Avira Personal

20 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Yes, I'm going to stop using Avira Premium/Security Suite

5 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. No, I'm not going to stop using Avira Personal

17 vote(s)
    13.1%
  4. No, I'm not going to stop using Avira Premium/Security Suite

15 vote(s)
    11.5%
  5. I'm not using Avira, but if I did I'd uninstall their products

34 vote(s)
    26.2%
  6. I'm not using Avira, but if I did I wouldn't uninstall their products

15 vote(s)
    11.5%
  7. I couldn't care less

24 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Re: Stop using Avira

Why not? Its free protection is better than Avira's free version. So what's the problem?

2. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

@ littlebits

I'm sorry that you had such an experience with Uniblue products; however, I have used their DriverScanner and I have nothing but praise for it.

Thanks.

3. littlebits

littlebits Registered Member

Driver Update programs are basically useless. All Windows OS have different drivers according to their motherboards, OEM, version of Windows, etc.

The problem with driver update programs is they tend to install the wrong drivers for your system which causes BSOD, crashes, corruptions, etc.

If it isn't broke then don't try to fix it.

I have learned from experience to stay away from these kind of programs.

If you want to get the correct drivers for your system for free, then go to your system's OEM support site, motherboard support site, use Windows Updates or your hardware vendor's site. MajorGeeks also has the best list of the most common hardware driver updates.

There is no need to buy a program or to sign up for paid subscriptions to get driver updates. This is one of the other known scams used by companies besides Registry Cleaners. I'm sure Uniblue knows this...

Driver Scanner indicated that I had 16 driver updates, but the problem is that all of my drivers are updated for my system. My Intel motherboard is from 2004 and has the most latest Intel drivers installed from Intel's website matching my motherboard, yet Driver Scanner suggest me to install these wrong Intel drivers not supported on my motherboard. I'm sure that would have corrupted my system because Intel said these drivers are not for my motherboard. It also said that my Realtek drivers and Vivitar camera drivers were out dated, but I already installed the latest from Realtek and Vivitar.:thumbd: Then it even said my Microsoft generic mouse driver was out dated and that came driver came straight from Microsoft.

Of coarse if I was a novice user who didn't know the difference, I would have bought Driver Scanner and installed these useless drivers. :argh:

Thanks.:D

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Stop using Avira? Well only if you are going to use Panda. Lol

Avira is top knotch and regardless of how this plays out, will remain top knotch.

Hmm, maybe a credit reporting tool would help.:cautious:

5. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

What about their premium products? Do you have to do a custom install to avoid installing the Uniblue, and Ask products or does it give you the option to opt out no matter which installation method you choose?

6. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

@ littlebits

You have the right to your own opinion with regard to Uniblue products and I stated my case already. Pretty soon I think even Avast will follow the same course. Free products are always expensive to sustain and security companies are trying hard to find ways to generate revenues out of the free software.

May Avira keep up its good work, job well done. :thumb:

Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  7. Noob

Noob Registered Member

+1 D00d.
    Well said :D
    You guys are exaggerating a bit ;)

8. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

Which reminds me that PCAV also offers a toolbar with the web filter. I don't hear anybody complaining

9. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

When my license runs out I'll be switching to something else. I'm already using something different on my laptop.

10. littlebits

littlebits Registered Member

Agree, if an toolbar is optional then why worry about running the installer.
    In the worse case if you didn't notice the toolbar on the installer and accidentally installed it, is very easy to uninstall. You can very easy uninstall add-ons on Firefox, if using the latest IE they can be disabled or removed very easily without having to run the uninstaller. For Yahoo Toolbar, it is one of the better ones that can be actually useful especially if you use a lot of Yahoo services. I never had a problem with Yahoo Toolbar.

For other toolbars, they are basically useless to most users.

The Ask Toolbar probably is the most annoying and useless since Ask.com doesn't have any services except for their search engine.

Of coarse as long as the Ask Toolbar is optional, then I don't have a problem with it included in installers. Ask.com helps many free software continue development since most users don't donate to support them. I don't have any problems with that since the Ask Toolbar is not malicious, easy to uninstall and doesn't cause any computer problems or issues. It is just basic junk with some privacy issues.

However Uniblue is a very different matter, their products are known to cause major computer problems it is reported all over the web if you just search you can find it. Their aggressive false advertising and fake reviews on how great their products are posted all over the web. They send out spam advertising their products and even have people to join online forums to try to promote their crap.

It really is sad that an excellent company like Avira chose to partner with Uniblue. The Ask Toolbar I can tolerate with a grain of salt but Uniblue is unacceptable.

Thanks.:D

11. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

The Uniblue thing was the last straw for me and is why I'll be moving away from Avira once my license runs out. If they are including ads for PUPs and scareware how can we trust them to detect these programs.

12. carat

carat Guest

Well said :thumb: I don't recommend Avira any more ...

13. koliko

koliko Registered Member

This is my main concern.

14. Spooony

Spooony Registered Member

Its a choice one have to make for themselves unfortunately.
    Virtual machine->regshot->process explorer->Wireshark->process monitor->install it and judge for yourself

15. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I shall continue using Avira just as long as Avira's real-world detection rates stay among the top-tier antivirus programs. Avira has slipped a bit lately, but remains top tier.

As for the add-ons to the free version -- Ask is easily opted-out-of, & the Uniblue floating brown thing has been flushed down. So n.p.

BESIDES, I like to pay for what I use so I do not have to deal with this issue. (nya-nya-nya) :cool:

16. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

How many users might Avira lose because of their recent choices, only time will tell (it is also difficult to monetize the state of sales of an AV company, as far as I know they don't have share holders). This is the type of poll that might attract more of the Avira haters than people who are genuinely concerned with this trivial issue. As pointed out by Bellgamin, the performance of the software should be the only concern for the user.

Some members have attitudes that are extreme in their judgement, reaching levels of criticism that are a paroxysm of moral outrage, quite inappropriate given the circumstances.

17. carat

carat Guest

The toolbar is no problem (don't forget it's optional!) but advertisement for a scareware-megapower-registry-booster is too much :gack:

18. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I have one machine which I keep intentionally without an AV, and for the sake of argument I've just downloaded Avira Personal to see these new bundled items. Well to my surprise there was nothing bundled with the installation except for an offer to upgrade to the Premium version. No Ask toolbar or Uniblue reg cleaner. I checked my e-mails and no e-mails either from Avira.

19. Spooony

Spooony Registered Member

When the registry booster starts to remove malware and the anti malware product starts to remove registry errors then you know its wack. Time to move on

20. guest

guest Guest

I prefer freeware with the high quality you expect of shareware, and that's only possible if you make the freeware project sustainable.

21. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

What was on the nag screen when you updated, or was there even one to speak of ,or is that what you were referring to in regards to the premium upgrade offer?

22. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

While installing Avira (personal) there was no offer whatsoever about anything, you are right a nag screen appeared when updating, offering an upgrade to the premium version. Now, I don't want to say that people have been lying about the the "ask tool bar" and the "Uniblue registry cleaner", but there was no sign of them while I was installing Avira.

It is possible that Avira might try this new strategy in some countries to test the reaction, but the more I look into this, the more I think the whole issue has been blown out of all proportion. Let's see in a couple of weeks time how many people will still be talking about it.

23. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

Or maybe they saw the outrage over it and thought twice about it and pulled it. Surely they saw the controversy it caused on many tech forums, blogs etc. I don't think they thought it would escalate the way it did.

24. J_L

J_L Registered Member

@Osaban: Did you download the SP2 beta or latest stable?

25. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

It was the ordinary Avira Personal from their site, and I can confirm there's a nag screen offering a an upgrade to the Premium version.

Do you realize you are speculating about something that is already hypothetical, but you could be right, their public relation dept might have panicked over the consequences of such an action, I'd like to say... All's well that ends well!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.