Stolen username/password! now what?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by berryracer, Jan 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

My friend was at my place and while I was away and came back I saw he had opened my NOD32 license text file. then he quickly closed it and denied he took it. I am suspicious that he might be using my license as well on his system.

My license is a 2 year license valid till DEC 2010

I emailed ESET about the problem but got no response yet (it's been 4 days now)

someone guide me what to do? I need my current license suspended and a new license key to be issued to me

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

You choose your friends well :thumb:

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

@MaXimus777

If you license is still valid and you have officially informed ESET (assuming you received your ticked number) , it is ESET own business if the license is being used on more computers than paid for. Relax :thumb:

4. berryracer

but i dont want him to use it! not fair! i paid for it

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Just Google for free licenses for EAV or ESS . You'll find plenty . Of course they are generally blocked in a reasonable time but I mean if he wants illegal way to use any program , most likely he'll succeed.

BTW , I can make it so that your current license is blocked/blacklisted but I can't generate you a new license for free to use instead of the old one :D Sorry :D

It is ESET employees who can only help you so I'll stop talking nonsense :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2009
  6. nostic

nostic Registered Member

Next time lock your PC before you leave your desk. If your interested in software security then you should be MORE interested in actual security. The best antivirus protection is the user.

Not trying to be mean, I just deal with this quite a bit running a corp. network. Like I insist with all my users,

PRESS (WINDOWS KEY) + L

-nos

7. berryracer

OK ESET can offer no HELP :rolleyes:

8. artsky

artsky Registered Member

hi,

Is your license for a single machine only? if yes, then relax.

9. berryracer

Yes it is a single user license but why shall I relax?

He could be updating at a diff. time that I am updating.

10. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Ask him not to use it.

11. Banger696

Banger696 Registered Member

There is a possibility the OPs key will be blacklisted leaving him without a key at all?

12. edwin3333

edwin3333 Registered Member

I have a license for 675 PC's. This has always been an issue with me - that the userid/password can be used by others and I have no way to see who is using it.

For example, we have a large IT staff. While I keep the userid/pwd encrypted in file, the information is stored in the XML file that is part of our standard install. There is nothing to stop someone from taking that XML file, applying it to all their home PC's, modifying the registry to remove the connection to my RA server, and have free anti virus. I guess I shouldn't worry since eSet doesn't enforce license counts. I have exactly 675 NOD32 installs (Nod's not my only antivirus vendor.)

When I installed RedHat, I could register each PC with RedHat and log into their website to see each PC and details about the PC regardless of where it was. At about $60/year per PC at 1-5 PC's I could do much more such as remote scheduling and control through their website.

It would be nice if I could log into an eSet portal and see each PC with my license. On my firewall I can see that every PC talks to eSet even if it updates only from my Mirror. If I could see PC's that are not mine in the portal, allow me to replace my userid/password and revoke the old one. Perhaps for a minor additional fee I could get some advanced features such as basic inventory (you already collect some of this on my local RA.) Perhaps in the future the RA could optionally be web based SaS eSet portal?

My .02.

13. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello MaXimus777,

Can you please PM me your information (name, email, etc.) that you used to purchase the license? I will look into this for you.

Thank you,
    Richard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.