Stock Exchange Feed

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by erogenous jones, Jun 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erogenous jones

erogenous jones Registered Member

Hi

I have a subscription to a live Stock Exchange feed. Since installing ESET 2 days ago, I now cannot retrieve any data from this feed either directly from the website or through my portfolio tracking software.

I have enjoyed this feed for 6 years and the software for 10 years. My Java is up to date with the latest version in case was an issue and I have had confirmatin that there is neither a block on my account nor to the software ticker.

The feed last worked on Tuesday at the point when Markets Closed and it was during the evening of Tuesday that our network and workstations were configured to have ESET installed.

Is this a known issue? How do I resolve it. I have administrator rights on all the servers but not the routers.

Yours exasperated and not able to deal in real time!

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Does disabling web or real-time protection, one at a time or both at once, make a difference?

3. erogenous jones

Hi - I have disabled the software on my workstation, rebooted with no difference. I am not able to disable the software on the server as this would affect the whole domain which would be disastrous!

My workstation OS is Win Xp 64, Java is Ver 6 update 25, the ESET is NOD 32 Antivirus ver 4.2.64.12 which I forgot to add when originally posting.

Network has several routers, none of which I have Administrator rights over.

The Network Servers that I principally connect to include 2 domain controllers, 2 Database servers, 1 web cluster and 2 Virual Servers. this is a mix of SBS 2011, Server 2008, Server 2003 and 2 versions of Linux builds.

I hope this helps - most of this is meaningless to me as I am the Data Base Administrator, so know a little about the networking side of things and nothing about connectivity. Our networking maintenance is sub-contracted to a 3rd party and it was they that recommended this software solution as we tighten up our network. They spent a couple of hours on this yesterday without any success.

4. Marcos

What about disabling HTTP checking in the advanced setup? Have you confirmed that ESET is the culprit by uninstalling it completely on one of the affected computers and the issue disappeared? Is there an ESET product or other security software installed on the servers?

5. erogenous jones

I am about to un-install the software on my local machine and disable the HTTP as suggested to see if that provokes the response I require. Fingers crossed.

Starting a backup for the registry as I write.

6. erogenous jones

Marcos, your software is installed on 10 workstations and 7 servers.

I have logged onto a computer which has NOT got ESET installed. It came out of the box yesterday. I have unticked the HTTP box on the servers to which I have access, but I do not have administrator rights to the servers that control our routers. I assume therefore that your software is on both domain controllers. No one in our offices has access, but this is the Executive Office and I am one of the Directors.

The problem remains.

The data feed from the site is a java feed. Simple. To retrieve this feed from any computer that does not have your software installed, the process is as follows andf you can do this if you want too!:

Launch browser, navigate to www.moneyam.com website, create a free account with username and log in, click trades button, insert the ticker to follow - a good example is that for a heavily traded equity (VOD) and ensure that the box is marked Live Stream, Hit go.

At that point the Java feed will kick in, takes about 3 seconds to launch and there should be a live feed with every trade.

What is actually happenning is that Java launches and the ticker continues to attempt to connect to the stream but does not release the information. There is therefore a block somewhere.

So, how do I allow a java feed from 1 site?

Had I not been so generous, I would not have allowed the Maintenance Organisation install your software at all. I am also a very decent bloke in that our company pay in advance for all licences so I have shelled out several hundred pounds for software that since the install has managed to prevent a source that has worked seamlessly for years where I have a subscription to the moneyam site that gives great depth of information through Level 2 feed data. The software that I am using to connect to the feed allows me to monitor 28 securities in which I have investment and manages the pension plan for our company.

Aside from the wasted time to try and work around the problem, there is the real cost of the softweare, the 65 minute support call to the Maintenance Company yesterday for what I suspect is a very trivial tweak.

I do know that a rule was made specifically for my account to bypass the firewall and go directly to the same router that the servers use. However, although I was the guy who shelled out roughly £100,000 for the hardware, I am more than a little miffed thata piece of software seems to be causing me such a nightmare time.

With markets that are volatile, a price change based on the sums invested, mean differences of thousands of pounds. That is why it is important!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  7. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

I have a stock feed from <www.streamer.com>. I use address management under web access protection->HTTP, HTTPS. I enter under "List of addresses excluded from filtering" *streamer.com* I have been using this for many years without a problem.

I am using Firefox and allow exceptions for pop-ups for the appropriate websites to allow the java console to activate.

8. erogenous jones

Thank you. I will try and cobble something together and bring this to the attention of others.

In the meanwhile, one of my staff is reporting issues with the Royal Mail site - again has Java behind it. Grrrrrrrrr. If it is not fixed by close of play this afternoon, ESET will be removed. Our reputuation is worth far more to us than the licence costs and ESET is proving very troublesome.

9. Marcos

I was able to reproduce the issue. On Windows XP, disabling http checking helped. What OS do you have installed on the clients?
    At any rate, the issue will be investigated further so that we know for sure if it's a problem with Java or our web protection.
    Update: renaming the web protection driver on Win7 and thus effectively disabling web protection completely did not make any difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.