Still unable to run SpywareBlaster...?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by thesaltydog, May 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thesaltydog

thesaltydog Registered Member

Well, I followed all the instructions listed in JForge's fine post titled "Fixed...'error. the program...' ", and thought I'd be home free. Unfortunately, none of the entries that they list to be removed are there! I can now scan with Adaware, Spybot, and HJT, and I'm shown to be totally clean, but your great program still shows that bogus message. What gives? I'd really appreciate any help offered. Thanks! -The Dog

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Well, there are more instructions in another thread here regarding self-fixes that have worked for some people, but you should use caution if you are unsure regarding any of the steps. (I'm mainly talking about replies 27 thru 34, but there are more there after):

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=26534&page=2

3. Iliad

Iliad Registered Member

Saltydog are you running Windows NT or 2000, or Win 98? If its 98, you might want to start by looking in Windows System Information, thats where I finally found the culprit on my system

4. thesaltydog

thesaltydog Registered Member

FIXED--- was Still unable...

Hello, and thanks for the speedy reply. Well, after seeing what tools others used to ID the offending files, I also found "Find-All" to be critical in helping me locate the bad dll; in my case, it was in C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\COMBH.DLL. I deleted it using a bootable CD-ROM I made, using the image of a Windows 98 Startup floppy (you NEED to have one of these, for use on all of your FAT32 drives, of course). One point to note is that when I navigated to the exact folder where the gremlin DLL was, and tried to undo all of the attributes (i.e., ATTRIB C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\COMBH.DLL -A -S -H -R), in DOS mode, I got the (obviously erroneous) error message, "THIS PROGRAM CANNOT BE RUN IN DOS MODE." However, if I issued the same command, from the Virtual RAMdisk directory, E:\, in my case, the command worked, and I could delete the DLL immediately. After that, SpywareBlaster ran perfectly. Thanks for looking, and I hope this helps. Let me know if anyone has any questions. -The Dog

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.