Still looking for a free imaging or rollback program

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by hamzah95, Jul 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hamzah95

hamzah95 Registered Member

Yea thanks for reminding me, is there any free rollback or imaging program?
    If there aren't, which rollback or imaging software do you guys recommend?

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

Re: KIS 2010 or NOD32

ive been using rollback rx for a long time now and it hasnt ever given me a problem and always worked easily and flawlessly :thumb:

3. hamzah95

Still looking for a free imaging or rollback program.
    and for the imaging software do i need to burn a CD or DVD every time I take an image?

4. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Re: KIS 2010 or NOD32

There are a few free disk imaging products available.I use Macrium Reflect and store the images on an external USB drive.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

5. Shankle

Shankle Registered Member

I use Clonezilla-live an imaging program.
    It works well for me on a triple boot system.

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Clonezilla here too. Works well on Win and Linux both.

7. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

CloneZilla here as well. Been using it a very long time. Works with a USB drive or a second hard drive...no CD/DVD save (at least the last time I checked).

Later...

8. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Another Clonezilla user, works great :thumb:

9. hamzah95

If i download clonezilla will I HAVE to burn it on a cd/dvd?

10. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Split your harddrive in two phisical partitions, one for programs one for data. Move the my documents to your data partition.

http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

Backup your programs partition with free Drive Backup 9.0 Free Edition for Windows® , see http://www.paragon-software.com/downloads/free_downloads.html

Backup your data partition with syncback free (intelligent, so it only copies updated/changed files http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/syncback-hub.html

You will need a recovery cd for paragon in case windows does not boot (it is an menu option in paragon). Make sure you save the image backups on the data partition (no need to create DVD's/CD's)

Buy an external harddisk to backup your data partition (which includes backups of your image). Keep it off line 99% of the time (only monthly backups)

You will be fine

11. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

DriveImage XML V2 from runtime software is also free and nice.

12. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

MArcium reflect Free version

13. hamzah95

OMG this is getting frustrating now.
    I downloaded the trial version for acronis 2009. Installed it and then it told me to reboot, when i rebooted my computer won't start up!!! thank god i had a system restore point, i had to reboot into safe mode with networking (safe mode wasn't working for some reason) and then i restored.
    Then i downloaded and installed macrium and now it hangs on creating volume snapshot every single time. No bar no nothing.o_O o_O :'( :'(
    Can anybody help me with this?

14. Shankle

Shankle Registered Member

Hi Hamzah95,
    If you don't want to believe what I am telling you, believe what Kerodo and others are telling you about Clonezilla-live. It's hard to beat a free Imaging program. Anyway whatever you do, don't do it with Acronis. 1st it's a pay program. 2nd it's full of bugs.
    I used it in the past and will NEVER use it again.
    Good luck

15. MerleOne

Drive Image XML doesn't install any driver, is free. Macrium & Acronis install a bunch of always running drivers, even when you don't use the applications. I also had problems with both and have ditched them since quite some time.

16. hamzah95

I finally got it to work by chkdsk /r .
    but the image file is bigger than my hard drive. I mean the used space on the hard drive i want to image is using 9gb but the image file is 27gb with high compression. Is this supposed to happen?

17. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

No - Say you have a HDD 250 gig and on it is 5 or 10 gig of OS etc, you take an image of it using Normal compression and the result will then be LESS than
    the 5 or 10 gig. due to the compression - You can then store that image
    on a second HDD or a few other places like CD's, DVD's, Acronis secret
    partition - If storing on a second HDD IT must be larger than the size of the image you made.
    I can't tell how you ended up with a 27 gig image of a lesser 9 gig content,
    especially as you say you used High compression.

18. hamzah95

Surprised yeah even i was i saw that. Will go to the macrium forums for help.

19. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I have used True Image without issue for years,,,,,,But not the current version so my experience may not count for much in this case.

Also, my 2 cents worth....if you want a solid (but not free) roll back program you cannot go wrong with Rollback RX.

As for imagers, I tried programs like Clonzilla etc and did not like them at all. My favorite imager is Shadow Protect. Not cheap but sometimes you do get what you pay for. IMHO that is the case with both Rx and SP.

20. hamzah95

OK the support at macrium told me that I was cloning the HDD and not doing the intelligent copy. Funny that the clone also copies the free space, that's where i got the 27 GB from. If i did the intelligent copy it would have been around 5 GB.
    Thanks All for the replies. I'll stick with Macrium for now.

21. hamzah95

LOL this is funny. I have used Drive Image XML (brilliant very fast and effective) but no matter what type of compression or what type software i use, i end up with the same result. I'm trying to take an image of partition E: (where i store my files) and the partition is using 8 GB out of 40, and no matter what I end up with a 8 GB image. Any one have any solutions?
    And for drive image XML, you guys know that it formats the whole partition before restoring, so how can i restore C when it gets reformatted in the middle of the process? Will I have to run a bootable disc then do it?

22. MerleOne

I guess you may have to use a "BartCD" to run DI XML V2 to restore your system partition. You may also try UBCD4Win (Ultimate BootCD for Win).

23. OldMX

OldMX Registered Member

24. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

It's not always a pay program.
    If you have a Maxtor or Seagate hard drive you can get an Acronis image program for free.
    All I will say about the quality of ATI is that I will never purchase a license again.

Try a Google Search for "freeware imaging Maxtor" or "MaxBlast."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.