Still loaded

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by CloneRanger, Jul 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Hi, i uninstalled WRSA today whilst i had access to the internet blocked. I didn't get a message to reboot ? but on reboot i still see 2 randomly named .exe's belonging to WRSA loaded. WRSA it self is not showing on my taskbar. Without going into safe made, what's the best way to get rid of them ?

TIA

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

I suggest reinstalling and then uninstalling again - that should clear it out. There won't be a message to request a reboot in any case, but perhaps having the internet blocked outbound would create problems within the uninstall process.

3. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

It's very much standard practice for WSA. I've tested it yesterday. WSA in my case does not uninstall completely if there is no internet connection.

When uninstalling everything seems fine, normal. After reboot WSA is not shown in taskbar but still present in Program files and other. And when connected to the internet, it re-installs itself. And I have WSA again after uninstalling and rebooting.

As Joe said, I've never seen any message to reboot with WSA anyways.

Not to worry. Just re-install WSA. And then uninstall while connected to the internet. Go through the process of posting the comment why you uninstalled WSA that comes in browser when uninstalling. Then reboot. And WSA will no longer be there.:) In my case WSA.exe would still be present in Program files which can easily be deleted normally.;)

Best Wishes,
    Amit

4. PrevxHelp

Thanks for the input! Could you let me know if you ran a scan or did anything within WSA while it was running with no network access? I'll look into reproducing this on my side to see what is causing it.

Thanks!

5. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

No. I don't usually scan as WSA is already scheduled to scan. I rarely open WSA interface.

I use dial up internet connection. So I disconnect when I don't need internet. I usually disconnect when I uninstall.

I'll explain more clearly what happened.

I uninstalled via Win Control Panel while disconnected. Firefox opened but as no internet showed nothing. Closed it and rebooted. Windows started normally. Then UAC prompted a message saying WSA.exe wanted to make changes in hardware. I said Yes. Nothing happened then. I looked into Program Files folder. WSA.exe sat there quietly. Tried to delete it. Said it was still in use by another program so can't be deleted.

This is the usual situation when uninstalled with not internet connection.

I usually then reinstall WSA and uninstall with connection.

But yesterday it was different.

After it said it can't delete WSA.exe I connected to the internet and continued with my normal browsing. But after a while when I looked into taskbar I could see WSA icon. What a surprise! Opened WSA interface. All settings were in default.

I reinstalled and uninstalled while connected. Rebooted. WSA.exe was again there in Program Files folder. This time I could delete it normally no problem.

I hope you could understand the description Joe.:D

6. CloneRanger

@ PrevxHelp & Amit uninstalled now Thanks ;)

Are these remnants & related in ANY way to WRSA ?

wrsa-reg.png

7. PrevxHelp

No, the only services WSA creates are "wrsvc" and "wrkrn"

8. CloneRanger

@ PrevxHelp

Thanks for the info :) All the best with your ventures :thumb:

9. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Yeah WSA doesn't leave anything in the registry anyways. No worries. ;) WRSA is different. Like WSA has driver called wrkrn.

10. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i have seen this very thing happen on a few occasions. the other thing i have seen is after installing wsa i reboot and there it is again in the taskbar running just no desktop icon. but i can still find the exe and open it but its not listed in the programs list to uninstall so i have to reinstall the i reboot then uninstall again and this normally fixes it fine. this has happened to me i think 3 or 4 times. i have tried to reproduce it but am unable to exactly reproduce it each time. it just happens when it happens and not sure why. otherwise love it and for my clients they love it and is just so easy for them i set it up and they forget about it.

11. Techfox1976

Techfox1976 Registered Member

Only way to see why it happens is to catch it -before- we know it happens. Gotta uninstall and have it happen, but get a snapshot of what occurred before rebooting and knowing that it happened. Anybody have a crystal ball?

Some speculation:
    RunOnce
    File replace delay after an auto-upgrade with no reboot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.