still can't locate and delete some trojans

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Spike Jones, Mar 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spike Jones

Spike Jones Guest

I scanned my computer with Norton Anti Virus before i knew about TDS, it found 3 trojans, but were unable to delete them from my computer. When i scanned my computer with TDS it only found one of the 3 listed by Norton, but it also found 2 different kinds that Norton never detected. TDS got rid of the trojans no problem, but the trojans still remaining on my computer are still causing trouble. My problem is, is that i dont know where to scan my computer in order to find those hidden trojans. Norton says that the trojans are located in C:\system volume information\_restore. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

By the way TDS is great, i have been looking all over the internet and couldnt find a single program that could even detect the trojans that i had.

2. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

That location is your restore folder and no antivirus or anti trojan can clean in there
    Turn off system restore by following instructions here
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001111912274039 for Xp
    or here
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001012513122239 for ME

That will purge the restore folder and clear any malware that has been put in there. Then reboot & then re-enable sytem restore & create a new restore point.

3. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Spike,
    are you able to locate the trojans, if possible to zip them ans submuit to submit@diamondcs.com.au and wait for expert advice from the TDS lab as it could be innocent.
    Which trojans were detected by which program and by which not?
    You might be able to locate the names in windows > search (find)
    unless norton made them inaccessable in it's quarantine i guess.

4. Spike Jones

Spike Jones Guest

I followed the instructions above to try and fix the trojans that were implanted in my restore folder. However, I am still experiencing the same problems. Whenever I play a game on my computer or scan the registry for spyware, my computer will shut down. When my computer shuts down it wont turn back on unless I unplug it from the wall. In some cases when the computer has shut down and i turn it on again, the computer tells me that there was "system failure, CPU impact" or at least I think thats what it tells me. I have scanned my entire computer with TDS and it didn't find anything new to delete, and norton isn't finding anything else than what it already has. So, what I am wondering is. Is there a trojan or some sort of virus that they are not picking up? Help would be muchly appreciated. Thanks.

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Spike, if you're telling you even need to unplug it i'm starting to think about a hardware problem.
    Normally if a system freezes, for instance by lack of RAM a contr+alt+del or if that takes too long the reset button should get you free for a fresh reboot.
    TDS does not pick up viruses indeed, as it is an Antri-trojan tool, but viruses and the kind would be found by norton or with an online scan. Try http://housecall.antivirus.com for instance.
    You might l;ike to set it to not clean automatically but to write down the filenames and their location before you decide to have them cleansed out or not.

Also if you start scanning, remember those are the heaviest processes for a scanner, so try to close everything you don't need immediately to give them all space.

I understand you have an XP, hum much RAM and what more to tell about it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.