Stellarium 0.12.1

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Apr 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Stellarium 0.12.1

Stellarium is a free open source planetarium for your computer. It shows a realistic sky in 3D, just like what you see with the naked eye, binoculars or a telescope.

It is being used in planetarium projectors. Just set your coordinates and go.

It seems that the bugs that plagued 0.12.0 for many have been fixed.

2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

tnx for the heads-up m8! :thumb:

3. Cimmerian

Cimmerian Registered Member

Thanks, got it..:thumb:

4. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Thanks, Dave. I always enjoy this one.

5. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

I seem to remember this being mentioned in a previous thread somewhere. Pretty neat for those of us that love star gazing. Alternatively, you could also use a program like Celestia to physical traverse a collection of known planetary bodies. I'd warn caution before using some of the third party extensions/mods as some have been flagged as malicious. Not sure if this is due to the application used in creation. Anyways, I love these programs. :thumb:

6. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Yeah, Celestia is a bit better for deep space, casual research. But that program seemed to have a few severe problems with traversing and rendering. Zooming in and out issues, unresponsive selecting of objects, several things I was noticing last I used it. Stellarium is a perfect partner to binoculars and telescopes for those new to astronomy. After all, there's not much point in trying to learn about Quasars when you don't hardly know anything about your own Moon ;)

7. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

8. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

All three of those programs I've used before and they make excellent additions to general research. The Moon specifically is very easy to study with all of the materials and programs freely available. Like all programs and reading materials, some cover more than others, some are better for specific things than others. I combine all I can for the best experience (and it helps in checking the accuracy of data).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.