Steganos Internet Anonym

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Yinda, Aug 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yinda

Yinda Registered Member

Hi,

I am testing Steganos Internet Anonym which can change the identity every second.

I have been at http://www.stilllistener.addr.com/checkpoint1/Java/. The checker was unable to find the IP.

With a pcflank test, the following is displayed :
    How good is this please ? Does no IP or false IP found mean no possible attack too ?

Thanks in advance.

Yinda

2. wizard

wizard Registered Member

Such anon proxy servers just change your IP address to those of the proxy server. This brings no additional security.

wizard

3. Yinda

Yinda Registered Member

Ok, thanks wizard. It's a pity.

Yinda

4. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

I don't think so, the only thing that can be attacked is the PROXY, so for me it seems there is no better security (regarding anonymous surfing).
    Dolf

5. wizard

wizard Registered Member

The problem is that the proxy is outside of the network. That means if I am going to connect to the internet I get an IP address assigned by my ISP. If I know configure parts of of my outgoing conncetions (eg Webbrowser) to go through that external anon proxy I still keep the assigned IP address by my ISP.

What is more likely for a hacker/cracker these days is to scan whole IP ranges of the common ISPs. Therefore it doesn't matter if I use an anon proxy or not.

wizard

6. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Yes, that makes a lot of sense. For the most part, I don't think people are getting attacked based upon their browsing habits. Sure, it can happen. A small number of malicious websites might try to attack the people that visit them, but if they're going to try to attack their customers, why not just attempt to exploit their browsers? That's more like to succeed than probing their ports for some exposure, I'd think.

I believe most attacks against open shares and exploitable server processes probably come from full netblock scans like Wizard says.

7. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

Sure, it won't give you full protection, it has never been the intention to , but it covers your tracks, and that is an additional security a firewall can't give you
    Dolf

8. wizard

wizard Registered Member

I would agree to "it gives you additional privacy" but sorry I can't see how an annon proxy could increase the security.

wizard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.