SteamOS 1.0 is here (Debian, Gnome)

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by NGRhodes, Dec 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Official FAQ is full of useful info (and download links) http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamuniverse/discussions/1/648814395741989999/

2. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

This is a good news for the PC gamers ,even if they want it to be some kind of a console ecosystem.
    I ll wait for the AMD powered version and see if using it instead of Windows + Steam would bring any profit ,less lag or something.Anyway most of the time i open my gaming PC up is to log in into Steam.
    Once more games will run under OpenGL /Mantle or whatever ,Microsoft may finally understand why Windows 8 sucks for many as a desktop environment.W8 it s nice on smart phones or tablets ,but not on desktops.
    Pushing PC gamers to XBOX was not a smart move.

Congratulations Valve for waking up competition in the PC OS market !

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Got my eye on this. Hope it matures into a nice OS.

4. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Me too. And even more so I hope they help out the community and not become a proprietary in some way.

5. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

I doubt they will let people customize the OS ,the question is if it s free.
    Secondly i would like it to let me use a dual boot with other OS on the same HDD.

6. NGRhodes

The OS is open source (Debian based) and people can do what they want with it. I think there are some display drivers and the steam client itself that are propiertary, but the rest is FOSS and can be customised.

7. ginzon

ginzon Registered Member

Well Frankly speaking I was eagerly waiting for SteamOS to launch and when they did I was really disappointed..
    Has anyone seen the requirement section of SteamOS, cummon it needs a whole rig for its own.. I doubt there is a dual boot option coz I read somewhere that in both installation modes it needs to be the sole owner, I may be wrong here coz got too raged by looking at the system spec it needed.. I prefer Windows + Steam for the same.. Else Ubuntu + Steam..

Anyways that my opinion coz I don't play much on steam.. Have only a few... For me GArena serves the purpose of multiplayer for other games which I doubt are playable on SteamOS, even after that heavy upgrade...

8. NGRhodes

Sounds like your complaining about the fact its an OS designed for a games console rather than a general purpose PC OS.

9. ginzon

ginzon Registered Member

Not a complain but yes even if its a gaming beast, cummon which linux needs that high config pc..
    I don't say it should work on a low end pc but not even a mediocre ones.. thats sad...

10. mattdocs12345

Well it would be nice if their OS was primary gaming and secondary used for other stuff. I assume most gamers do open a web browser and like to look up cheat codes or hack or whatever. Most gamers do watch youtube, perhaps netflix and write an email every now and then.
    So yes I expect from a gaming OS to do what usual OS does, including skype support. I think xbox does all of those mentioned and Steam shouldn't hold itself back.

11. ginzon

ginzon Registered Member

Agree a lot with you.. I play I surf together and also at times my torrents are on.. So why to purchase a heavy rig and dedicate it for a sole reason.. Doesn't make sense to me...

At first I thouht this must be a Linux with all it usually oes and fine tuned very much for gaming.. But no this ain't what I am looking for...

12. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

I have the same complain and more, like having to do workarounds on UEFI, no partitioning or having to install via USB stick.

Doesn't matter if it's designed to work on Consoles. *** WE LINUX PC USERS *** helped Valve build their Linux client. I remember playing Steam on Linux while it was still on beta (I started around October 2012), and yet it has a lot of bugs. Valve couldn't make SteamOS possible without PC users, so they could've at least thought of us in the first place since SteamOS is a modified Debian 7. Valve owe us in the 1st place.

13. NGRhodes

I don't see the issue when Linux PC users can still use the Steam Client.

14. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

I don't get why people were expecting a fully fledged OS. It's designed to be used as a gaming console with big picture mode??

15. mattdocs12345

I don't think you read my comment.

16. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

Does it not do that. This is from the FAQ:

I can't check it out because I don't have any UEFI systems, but it seems to me that you could download applications you want to use.

As for things like YouTube and Netflix, I feel that SteamOS should have some kind of dedicated app within Big Picture designed for a gamepad/10-foot interface as opposed to accessing them via a standard web browser (of course you could still do that if you wanted).

17. ginzon

ginzon Registered Member

But making it so heavy for hardware spec is insane...

18. NGRhodes

Quite sane compared to current generation consoles.

19. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

And there are workarounds. My review coming in a few days.
    Mrk

20. ginzon

ginzon Registered Member

Thx looking forward to it...

21. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

SteamOS review - Lovely jubbly!

More revolutionary news: here's a very enthusastic review of SteamOS 1.0 Beta, a gaming dedicated 64-bit Linux operating system based on Debian Wheezy, covering setup and early preparations, look & feel, installation and update of the client software, game store, downloads, cloud sync, Linux game titles in action, and more. Enjoy.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/steamos-review.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.