Steam - Source Engine Issues

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Freifur, Mar 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Freifur

Freifur Registered Member

right for the past 3 - 4 weeks ive been going insane because my games like left 4 dead and CS:S have just stopped working, i discovered that on the steam website it says that nod32 and couple other anti-virus programs, (well not a couple pretty much ALL programs) can cause conflicts with steam games. What i have discovered is thart steam is a piece of crap that they refuse to update to remove these clashes. Through various conversations i have discovered that it is not the steam client itself that is having the clashing problem but it is all source engine games, basically any game made with the Half-life Source engine does not work, i have also discovered that several of my friends have almost identical machines to me, they are running 32-bit windows XP service pack 3, are up to date on all nod32 updates and are update with all steam updates. However, they do not have the clashing issues that i have.

I have tried uninstalling / reinstalling all steam apps and steam itself i have tried various other things to no avail,
    I have put all steam games and steam into the exclusion list but still nothing

i ended up sending a win32 report to steam so that they could have a look and try to resolve the issue, they turned around and send *not our problem go ask eset* and then suggested that i uninstall all virus protection software, all firewalls and also unplug and uninstall my sound card... i have had enough of this stupid running around pointing fingers,

can somebody please help me / can eset provide an update to stop this clash?

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Could you post some screenshots of the problems/errors?

3. noodlesftw

noodlesftw Registered Member

I am having this exact same problem. By exact, I mean EXACT!
    It's a standard Send/Don't Dent Error. Much help is needed please!

(Sorry for my English.)

4. noodlesftw

They are both, all running on the HL2 engine (Source Engine original and the 2007 version!) I am using the standard NOD32 setup with the Steam folder excluded, which doesn't help. It also causes problems with Adobe After Effects CS4.

With the Source Games problem, it has nothing to do with online. The games don't even load! They go straight to one of those Send/Don't Send windows.

I am so frustrated! :'(

5. noodlesftw

These games run fine on my computer without NOD, I don't have any other anti-virus software installed besides NOD. Well this has been a gigantic waste of money.

6. The fox

The fox Registered Member

Going through the support page on Steampowered, they suggest that you disable any AV before running any games. Try this and see if it works, personally I have no problems with NOD32 and Steam tho.

7. The fox

The fox Registered Member

Assuming you are talking about noodlesftw, he never said he attempted to disable NOD32 while running steam. Might I also suggest going into the options of NOD32, Setup > Entire Advanced Tree > Web Access Protection > Web Browsers and untick Steam if its in there. Also making sure that when you add steam to exclude, its set like this, example taken from where my steam is, C:\Program\Steam\*.*

8. noodlesftw

I've uninstalled NOD32 and that has caused even more problems!

9. Proactive Services

Proactive Services Registered Member

You haven't said what problems you're having! I have used many Source games with NOD32 v2, 3 and 4 and know lots of friends that do as well, all with no problems and with no exclusions set-up, using pretty much the maximum protection with the anti-virus and Smart Security products. Are you getting an error message or other symptoms that you can describe?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.