Steam Linux first impressions

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Dec 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I'm thoroughly pleased to present a review of Linux beta Steam software distribution software on Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin LTS on a laptop with an Nvidia graphics card, covering download and installation, 32-bit libraries setup on a 64-bit system, self-update, login and Steam Guard, initial impressions, user profile, available games, stability, performance, look & feel, game demo, and small niggles like missing Launcher icon and Flash Player playback, and more. Enjoy most immensely.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/games/steam-linux-beta-here.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I'm also on the beta, but not had time to play any games.
    FYI the client works fine under 12.10 as well.

I did initially think about why someone would choose Steam over using the built in Software Centre, but I can see Steam being a good choice for serious gamers, whereas obtaining games via the Software centre still is far more straight forward for the casual gamer like myself.

About the only downside I can see is that *nix purists will not like that Steam reinvents a few things Linux already does such as using its own system for download games rather than the package manager.

3. moontan

moontan Registered Member

tnx for the review Mrk! :thumb:

i'm not the gamer once was.
    but i am following Steam's development closely because i think it will open the gates to a lot of people who are thinking of switching over to Linux.

very glad to see you are liking the Steam Beta as this is good sign they're on the right track. :cool:

4. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  5. moontan

moontan Registered Member

right you are.
    not much in there atm.

hopefully the pace will pick up and more games will be added on eventually.

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

It is impressive, because 3 days ago, it was 29 games.
    So it means 20 games in 3 days, or roughly 7/day.
    In a year, we will 2K games, no?
    Mrk

7. NGRhodes

There is no initial list of Linux games yet, because it had not be launched yet (only beta) and could change.

Your "Quantitative comparative" is wrong.
    At initially (your stated point in time) Mac had 50 games and the PC there was only 1 game for the steam client.

Also if you are using the number of items listed from your link for PC and Mac, note that is it NOT just a list of games, but also includes demos, software and purchasable items and addons for games.

Cheers, Nick

8. Wild Hunter

What I posted is a link for the "Initial list of available games and related items for Linux" and a quantitative comparative comparing the numbers of available games and related items for other platforms supported by Steam. Read again my post before correcting what doesn't need to be corrected, dear (fan?)boy.

And it is an initial list. It's there. For beta testers or whatever, but it's there. Also, note that you can PURCHASE some of the items , so I think it's pretty official, although the client is restricted for beta testers.

Cheers, a bored guy

9. Wild Hunter

Those numbers aren't including only the games. You made the same confusion.

Cheers, an even more bored guy

10. Wild Hunter

Hopefully. I want more real alternatives to Windows just like all of you. Even if I never really switch from (abandon) Windows, it would be nice to have more real alternatives besides Mac.

Cheers, a little less bored guy

11. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Some pretty good ones in there. Amnesia: Dark Descent is supposed to be incredible. TF2 is a big one. nVidia has been pushing a lot of Linux support because of all of this and I'm glad to see TF2 performance was decent.

The coinciding of Netflix now playing on Linux (netflix-desktop) and Steam gaining serious traction is going to really benefit the Linux community - I think a lot of people who weren't able to look at Linux before can now.

I know a lot of people who don't really "use" their OS. They run Windows because it's there. But they can't switch due to Netflix - that one program is enough to keep them off. If Netflix support in WINE continues to improve a lot of people who couldn't run Linux will now be able to.

A lot of really good things happening.

12. NGRhodes

My mistake.

Why do you think I could be fanboy (and I am not a I am not a boy) ?

You are not comparing to the initial list of available PC/Mac stuff, you are comparing to the initial list of Linux stuff to the current PC/Mac stuff.

Cheers, Nick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.