Steam- How to make it more secure?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by merisi, May 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Yeah, the difference being I've pursued an education, learned low level programming languages, taken part in competitions where I hack/ am hacked, etc. I actually improved/ have clout.

Errrrr, did you read the password one? Long passwords are enough. A 14 character password is very secure if it's not predictable - the passwords in that link are all predictable (pattern based, among other things).

I already posted about how the caching works, and that doesn't have to do with DNS resolution speed.

You seemed to be implying that when you stated he doesn't know how exploitation works. But either way, you don't, and Steam is exploitable, and EMET could potentially stop an attack that used Steam.

Yeah, it does seem unlikely.

I would suggest contacting Steam and just dealing with the matter straight at the source. Easiest way to solve this.

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

A cut down version.

The browser is a small part of Steam and is entirely restricted to the Steam Store.

The overlay is an entirely different process/executable which can indeed browse anything.

No it doesn't, it only uses flash if you have the system-wide plugin installed, it doesn't bundle it. Unless you simply meant their videos are delivered as flash.

Attempting to connect to a non-Steam site (e.g. via a friends link) invokes a popup which asks you to open it in your own browser.

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

You missed my point entirely. It was about you making wild claims about others and their education, when you yourself have shown to make claims about areas you know little about. Never the less, arguing about this with you is a pointless endeavour.

Wow, please read the article and save yourself further embarrassment.

The only protection against this form of offline attack is using a completely different password for every site. You could argue that a stupidly long password (over 55 characters) would help, but that's just a time bomb until they expand the cracker further.

The argument had absolutely nothing to do with DNS resolution speed, or caching, and you know it. You simply failed to consider that there's more factors than just resolution speed when selecting an appropriate DNS server.

I said he doesn't know how it works and that implies that Steam is unexploitable? Wow, that's a bit of a stretch there just to make an argument.

That would not solve it. The makers of Steam (tip: Steam is not a person or company, it is software) do not discuss what does and doesn't trigger suspensions/bans. This has been further evidenced by what user "A21" already stated in his Steam post.

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I don't know how to deal with irony on this level. I'll go with the ever useful "lol".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.