Steam for Linux picks up: developer sees 3x as many sales than on Mac

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Hungry Man, Mar 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Linux have far more techies, hence they're more likely to be hardcore gamers that use a service like Steam. Also, they wasted far less money and have more to spend.

3. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Plus, Steam for Linux is still a novelty.

4. I'm interested in hearing what sort of performance Steam games get on Linux. ATI/AMD and Intel performance have long been godawful, and even nVidia has always had worse performance (and many, many more bugs) than on Windows.

5. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Since the release of Steam to beta both ATI and nVidia have more than doubled their performance.

6. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

I'm running AMD 6870, on windows 7 64b I can run teamfortress 2 at max settings and have very smooth gameplay.

On linux mint 14 mate 64b I get much lower performance with the same settings.

The drivers from AMD are significantly getting better recently, I'm eagerly awaiting 13.2, The beta's seem very promising.

IMHO, It's not there "yet" but it is definitely on the right track and I will almost exclusively on linux :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.