stealthed firewalls.

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by The Red Moon, Sep 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

Your article isn't completely accurate. "Let’s say I’m an attacker and I ping an IP but there really is no one on the other side. I wouldn’t get no response, I would get one of the “ICMP Unreachable” responses." isn't correct. You'll get an "ICMP Unreachable" response if someone hasn't set up their firewall properly to block sending this response. Otherwise, you get no reponse aka "Request timed out." The same response you would get if the machine didn't exist.

The article at http://www.hansenonline.net/Networking/stealth.html is also not completely accurate. "If there really was no computer (or firewall) there, the router sitting in front would reply for you with a simple ICMP "host unreachable" message back to the attacker." Again, this is a case of a router that is not configured properly. The router should drop any unsolicited inbound packets (or forward them to a non-existent system thus accomplishing the same thing).

And statements like "However, the mere fact the machine doesn't respond one way or the other lets the port scanner know the machine exists!" don't even make sense. You won't get any response from a non-existent system no matter how hard you try - because there's nothing there!

I see a lot of back and forth within these forums lately on this and some shots taken at Steve Gibson which I don't think he deserves. The last time I checked Steve isn't selling a firewall product, so I'm not sure how this is a marketing gimmick and I certainly don't agree that he is a charlatan.

With such diversity of opinions regarding this, I thought I would post my own. Take it or leave it for what it is and have fun stealthing or closing as you see fit. ;)

2. Ring0

Ring0 Registered Member

3. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

very interesting.So why has kaspersky decided to have its firewall of a mixed stealth and closed status..?

4. itman

itman Registered Member

Check in the Kapersky forums. Topic has been responded by them so many times, I believe they ignore new inquiries about it. Basically they use a different approach and purposely close but do not stealth some ports.

5. The Red Moon

I have checked in the kaspersky forum and no clear answer comes from them except claims of false marketry by the firewall testing companies.
    Its a simple question which deserves a good answer.Is the kaspersky firewall secure or not.?

6. itman

itman Registered Member

Matousec rated it very good; just slightly below the rating it awarded to Privatefirewall. It was rated higher the Outpost free.

That said, I didn't like Kaperskpy's firewall. I found it difficult to configure and understand for that matter.

7. Setcho

Setcho Registered Member

Back when I was using KIS 2010 (which was before I had a Router) I used to have the same issues with the shields up test. What I found out at the time was that the KIS 2010 firewall worked using adaptive behaviour which is why a port scan would show different ports closed and stealthed each time it was run. If I ran the test 3 or 4 times in a row it would eventually show all ports were stealthed. I'm not sure if this is still the case with KIS 2013.

8. The Red Moon

Thanks.I discovered this also and to be honest im not too worried about it.The moderators over at kaspersky forums are not too worried about it.
    I could pass the shields up test with a few changes of kaspersky firewall settings.:D

9. southcat

southcat Registered Member

If you really do worry about this, how about comodo firewall + KAV.:D

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  10. The Red Moon

No im not worried about it in the slightest.Ive used comodo firewall for years and wanted a change lol.Grabbed KIS for £19,the only security software ive ever paid for.:D :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.