stealth?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by neurotic, Dec 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neurotic

neurotic Guest

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,8722338~mode=flat

I don't get the overall consensus that it is useless and attracts "blackhats" when it is a clear indication a user is covering home plate with a firewall. I don't see the point of exploits either as they are clearly talking about bypassing the whole firewall concept.

A closed port is a closed port, but I don't see any benefit from orthodox reply.. "keeping the machine oiled" just don't cut it if the machine is a purple people eater.

Added URL tags

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Stealth debates are usually fairly lively and interesting. The thread you linked is no exception. ;)

I'm not a big proponent of stealth, but I'm not against it either. I happen to run stealthed, but that's only because my firewall of choice doesn't offer any other option. I run Zone Alarm Pro. With ZAP, if it blocks something, any type of packet at all, then it drops it and suppresses any type of reply, which of course is stealth.

If Zone Alarm had a configuration option that would allow me to change it's functionality from dropping all unsolicited packets to rejecting them, (for example, respond as if a port that is actually open on my system were closed instead), then I'd probably set that option.

In that DSLR thread I think someone said "Just say no the stealth!" Well, that's fine but I rather think the ship has sailed on that one. Most of the more popular software firewalls for Windows systems provide stealth functionality exclusively now. The user doesn't get a choice, so I doubt that stealth will be going away anytime soon.

3. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

it isn't a consensus.

If you know what you do, then there is advantages.
    If don't know and are using a feature that you don't understand, you can be in trouble having a false feeling of security while helping worm and crackers.

The fact that many only see the second point and it IS always like that and so stealth is useless is a proof that they are against stealth and that's all.

the difference is that i am for stealth, but i'm not narrow minded and i admit their argues toward "avereage user" is true, so at the end i see that both sides argue are good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.