"Stealth virus"

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by rothko, May 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rothko

rothko Registered Member

2. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Thanks for the link to the article. All the more reason to have some pro-active defense on a system (e.g. ProcessGuard) that does not rely on heuristics or signatures.

Rich

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I don't like the usage of term "virus". Viruses are file infectors,in these days we're dealing mostly with worms,trojans,backdoors or hybrids of any these 3.

4. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

One more pointer about how heuristics and pro-active defense are important part of the security nowadays.

tECHNODROME

5. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Well not so much heuristics since they apparently scan all the files beforehand... meaning it should bypass the heuristics of all the known AVs. (and since it's for money, they probably will be thorough, leaving out only a few obscure ones)

6. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

Another good reason to have a good imaging tool with regular system backups.

7. Cn232

Cn232 Guest

The word stealth seems to be misleading. They don't seem to be doing anythign technically special. The key is that they don't spread widely enough to appear on the rader screen of antivirus vendors.

As for malware that are prescanned to ensure they arent detected by any of the AVs,ATs, it's nothing new, I thought??

8. CN232

CN232 Guest

PG actually relies on heuristics (in a broad sense), it monitors suspicious behaviour likeglobal hooks . More importantly, the strength of PG's heuristics
    difer from user to user, because it ultimately depends on the user's knowledge and experience to decide what to run!

I'm sure Rich's heuristics are far superior to mine for example.

9. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Another good reason to run a limited account. Better yet, Linux or a Mac.

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yeah, I've been thinking of doing that. Can you still update your AV and other programs when running such an account?

Acadia

11. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi CN232,

If PG uses heuristics, it is some of the dumbest heuristics I've ever come across. :)

HEURISTICS - This describes a set of rules developed to attempt to solve problems when a specific algorithm cannot be designed.

PG is rather straightforward and blunt. It stops all program executions that it can trap. Not very smart, but darm efficient. Of course, the user's "heuristics" then has to decide whether to let it execute or not. My own personal heuristics are actually pretty dumb also. I always answer NO, until I thoroughly research any new program that pops-up on my screen. Nowadays, the only new software that may be legitimately introduced is security software or Windows Updates. I just cross my fingers that my Windows Updates source is "trustworthy". :)

Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.