Stay Awake - A new utility for the tech's out there

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jminnie, Nov 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jminnie

jminnie Registered Member

I wrote this little program the other night because I was fixing a customer's PC & like so many other times in the past, I started a virus scan, walked away for a bit & return to find that the computer had gone into sleep mode, which of course paused the scanning & wasted a bunch of my time. I find it aggravating to have to babysit a computer I'm working on & move the mouse every few minutes to keep the computer awake. Much of the time I'll just change the settings in the computer to prevent it from going into sleep or hibernate mode, but half the time I forget to restore the settings.

Stay Awake is a small, portable, single 800kb file you can run on your computer & carries out 1 simple task. It keeps the computer awake without having to babysit a computer or change system settings to keep the computer awake while carrying out time consuming tasks. When you are finished, simply close Stay Awake & your computer will again be able to fall into Screensaver, Sleep or Hibernate modes.

There is 1 more feature that Stay Awake sports. When ran, it also temporarily disables the Windows Update Service. The reason for this is the same. On occasion when I'm working on a very badly infested system I will run several full scans on a computer which can easily take many hours. So I will set it & leave it for the night to carry out it's long, time consuming tasks. But on occasion, Windows would have installed an update and automatically restarted the system on me during some point throughout the night. Which means I would have to start those long time consuming scans all over again. So by running Stay Awake you can also avoid this incredibly annoying event from happening again. And once you restart your PC, Windows will automatically restart the Windows Update Service by itself.

Anyway, I have found this simple utility to be so helpful for me, I figured I'd share it with the other tech's out there in hopes they will get as much use out of it as I have.

Download Link

Screenshot
    Stay Awake.jpg

2. Victek

Victek Registered Member

3. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

Great thought and congratulations.

That is one thing that has always puzzled me about the Microsoft Windows Operating System, now I do not know where
    nor remember where I read it on the Microsoft Web site, and I am not going to serach for it now after all this time.
    Anyway, the puzzeling point is, Microsofts' documentation claimed that as long as there is 'Activity' on the System
    Screen Savers and Hybernation will not be activated. Well it seems to me that scanning the System is producing
    quite an lot of activity.....I am still scratching my head over this.

HKEY1952

4. jminnie

That program has some interesting features. If I decide to build upon Stay Awake I may borrow some ideas from it.

5. jminnie

Nor does it make sense to me. But apparently unless there is actual input from a peripheral like a keyboard or mouse, Windows sees the system as completely idle.

6. HKEY1952

So, what you are saying is, that the Microsoft Windows Operating System only considers the System to be compelety
    void of 'activity' only if there is no actual input to the System from an peripheral like an Keyboard or Mouse.

That is interesting, would you care to share how "Stay Awake" manages to keep the System 'Awake'?

HKEY1952

7. jminnie

Stay Awake simply carries out a virtual keystroke every 30 seconds. By doing this, Windows thinks the system is being used by a person and therefore, resets it's counters for Screensaver, Sleep & Hibernate modes. As long as Stay Awake is running it will click the virtual key every 30 seconds indefinitely allowing your computer to never fall asleep.

8. HKEY1952

Well I do not believe that Windows thinks the system is being used by any person, but I do believe that Windows is
    recognizing input to the System from the Keyboard.....any way, thanks jminnie for your prompt answer and good luck!

HKEY1952

9. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ jminnie

Nice one :)

VT = :thumb:

10. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

This is a keeper for my toolbox! Thank you very much, as soon as I get the chance might be able to drop a donation. Thank you for sharing!

11. jminnie

@ all,

I'm just happy to share a useful tool that other's may get use out of. Thanks for giving my utility a try!

Jason

12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Not to be a kill joy, but I don't see the point, of having anything, even a tiny thing, to sit on my system to sending key strokes.

Simply turn off Hibernate, and change the screen saver setting to a very large number. End of problem.

13. jminnie

I created it because I'm a computer technician & will sometimes work on half a dozen to a dozen systems a day. Part of what I have to do to keep up with the constant flow of systems coming in is streamline how I work on those systems. Though it would only take a minute or two to change the settings on the systems I'm working on to prevent sleep or hibernate, tallying up the total amount of time I spend doing that throughout just a single day could potentially waste an hour's worth or time or more. But mostly, I created Stay Awake because my turnover rate is so fast from systems coming in to systems going out, I have several times in the past forgotten to go back & reset the sleep & hibernate modes back to default. Then I would inevitably be getting a phone call within a day or two from a customer asking why their computer wont go into sleep or hibernate mode. I'm not sure if you've ever tried explaining over the phone to somebody who is quite computer illiterate how to change their settings on a computer, but I can tell you I've spent over an hour on the phone in the past trying to walk them through step by step how to change settings which of course equates to a HUGE waste of time. And time really is money, the more time I waste on the phone with a customer, the less time I have to work on other systems.

Anyway, it's just a simple utility for people like me who are working on many systems a day. It is so much simpler & quicker to just double click on a utility & have it carry out it's task than to manually go through & do the same thing.

14. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I agree with you peter.However I think the OP essentially is using this for customer service.If the hibernate is disabled and forgotten to enable after the task at hand for the client,they may think the techie broken something and may even some cause harsh feelings.

15. jminnie

Exactly! :)

16. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

I appreciate this cause it has happened to me quite often that I forget to disable screensaver, standby, hibernate when working on someone else's computer. It's really irritaring.

17. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I sometimes have to support customers over the phone and it's not just a huge time waster it's a nightmare. I had a full time job some years back doing support over the phone before the internet and "remote desktop" apps, and it could be excruciating. Today the most difficult part of support is just walking people through installing the remote access app - even that can be pretty frustrating. Having an organized way of working on systems that reduces the likelihood of follow-up phone calls is a must.

18. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Thank you jminnie for writing this :).

Similar: Caffeine.

19. jminnie

Can't agree more! It certainly can be frustrating to walk somebody through what many of us find very simple, but others find incredibly difficult. I use remote support as much as possible, but it is aggravating at times to get them to simply go to my website & run the single file I need them to run in order to make a connection.

Another interesting program. I like the options it offers, but am not so sure if I'm personally a fan of command lines rather than GUI controls. But a nice program none the less!

20. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

There's another alternative, provided at an MSDN blog, with a GUI and source code is also provided...

It will minimize to tray, as well.

-http://blogs.msdn.com/b/delay/archive/2010/02/01/the-customer-is-always-right-updated-free-tool-and-source-code-to-prevent-a-machine-from-going-to-sleep.aspx

-edit-

The download link at the page will download a more up-to-date version, supporting Windows XP, as stated in this URL -http://blogs.msdn.com/b/delay/archive/2011/03/23/what-next-a-dos-version-free-tool-and-source-code-to-temporarily-prevent-a-computer-from-entering-sleep-mode-32-bit-and-64-bit-versions-now-support-windows-xp.aspx

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  21. jminnie

Yet another similar & interesting program. I wonder if it will prevent Windows update auto-restarts?

22. m00nbl00d

I only found this tool yesterday, and didn't give a proper reading to the blogs to know more about it, but... You don't need to disable Windows Update service. All you got to do is modify Windows Update behavior either through Group Policy Editor or by modifying/adding the appropriate registry change.

I believe it would be of your clients interest to have automatic reboot turned off. Otherwise, the system can be rebooted while they're working on something important, and won't get the chance to save the work.

I prefer this way. Once they reboot on their own or shutdown and then boot the system next time, updates will apply, anyway.

23. jminnie

I very much agree except, my wife for instance, never restarts or shuts down her laptop. She will just close the screen and when she is ready to use it again she will just wake it up. Unfortunately I think many people follow the same practice, and if so, will very rarely allow an update to complete. I know my wife never would if I didn't occasionally run through it & do maintenance & updates.
    But I've also recently learned from sharing my utility with some friends & family that they are using it for other means than what I had designed it for. A friend for instance was downloading a 6.73GB game on his laptop & of course it kept going into sleep mode, so Stay Awake worked great for him. But this also showed me that there are many ways people may use Stay Awake & am almost wondering if I should change it so it won't automatically disable the Windows Update service... In the instance of my friend, there is no need for that. I am considering possibly adding a "Disable Windows Update Auto-Restart" button to the program so the user would have the benefit of choosing to disable that or not... I prefer to automatically disable the service myself, but I only use it when I'm repairing a system. Somebody else for example may use it for downloading large files, watching movies, etc.. & may possibly still want to run a Windows Update. If anybody would care to give me some insight on which way you feel I should go I would appreciate it. I think I'm now just more curious if people would use Stay Awake as a "Tech Tool" or for more "Casual use".

Thank you m00nbl00d & all else for your replies & interest!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  24. m00nbl00d

Not in here... Electricity is just way too expensive to let the equipment on... :D

25. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ jminnie

Yeah, options are good :thumb: Different strokes etc ... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.