statistical information

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by kaminikij, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaminikij

kaminikij Registered Member

I know this has been discussed before but am becoming concerned with the statistical info being sent to nod. First of all I have it set to be asked before the information is sent and I never am. Yesterday, in my log there are 12 entries of statistical information sent. Nod detects nothing on my computer and my threat log is empty. Does this mean nod has blocked something or I may be infected? 12 times in one day? Why dont we have access to the information being sent and why am I not asked as my settings indicate?
    kaminikij

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi !

You may configure NOD32 to ask you before submitting suspicious files , not before sending statistical data . Sending statistical data can be fully disabled .

More information about this:

http://www.eset.eu/threat-center/threat-sense.net

As far as I know , the statistics contain data like : your country , your OS , the name of the threat that has been detected , the location of the threat (e.g. url or where on your computer - C:\Windows\system32\ ...)

If this worries you , disable the statistical data sending. :thumb:

3. kaminikij

I am not as concerned with what information as to how many times. This doesnt seem normal. Is it?

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I don't find it normal 12 times in case you had no threats detected , even with tons of threats detected ...

5. kaminikij

Any suggestions?

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Pray for this not happen again . Otherwise , stop the statistical data sending ;)

7. kaminikij

O.K. Thanks

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Maybe the statistical information couldn't be sent in the past so they were collected and sent as soon as a connection to the ThreatSense server was established.

9. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

This thread has a familiar ring for me or I'm suffering from deja vu!

I'm considering switching to NOD32 but suffered previously with CP software calling home. The BD firm also did auto collection even after disabled so you can understand my suspicious attitude.

So here are some questions I need answered:

1) AreALLupdate/collection services for NOD32 declared in the help/setup or documentation?

2) If the user disables ThreatSense.Net Early Warning System are any collections or updates still sent to the servers anyway?

3) What are all the server names or ip's that carry out these tasks?

4) Can the user disable auto update services?

10. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Yes, there's an example of the statistical data sent to ESET in the help file.

Right, also all data in the cache should be deleted as soon as ThreatSense.Net is disabled.

All servers belong to ESET. They can change from time to time and have similar names like the update servers, ie. ux.eset.com

Yes, by disabling automatic update task. However, we do not recommend doing so as you might forget to run update manually which would expose your computer at risk.

11. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Thank you for your prompt and straight forward reply! Very refreshing!:D

12. Stijnson

Stijnson Registered Member

Is it true that NOD32 also sends statistical information to ESET when no threats have been found on a computer (this was stated by a member of the Dutch NOD32 helpdesk)?

On my computer statstical information is only sent right after NOD32 checking for updates (literally a few seconds afterwards), after file checking when a user is logged on (every 24 hours maximum) or after file checking when an update has been installed (maximum every 24 hours).
    It seems to me that NOD32 can never perform a scan for threats in a few seconds, or can it?

Anyhow, there are times that it takes several days (2-5) before statistical information is sent again, but it also happens that statistical information is sent two days in a row.

I have been using v2.7 since June and fortunately I have never had the 'Infected' or 'Suspicious' file pop-up (I have set up NOD32 to inform me about threats before sending them to ESET), but it does seem a bit odd that NOD32 sends statistical information to ESET from my computer and that it never comes back to be a real threat.

Can anyone of the development team (or a well-informed insider) confirm that statistical info is also sent in case of no found threats?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.