Startupdelay (from The List of Lists)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bgoodman4, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

For some time now I had been having a problem with the startup times on my laptop. It would take seemingly forever before I could begin using my machine due to the slow speed with which the startup apps would load. I tried disabling everything that was not essential and that helped a bit but just a bit. I tried a number of startup managers and for one reason or another none worked to my satisfaction. None that is until I tried Startupdelay which I found on the List Of Lists from this forum. Startupdelay identified more startup apps than any other program I had looked at, better yet it enabled me to easily select the apps to delay and to set the order in which they loaded. The time it takes for all the apps to load has not been reduced but the PC becomes usable in about 1/2 the time. A very interesting side effect, and one that makes no sense to me, is that not only is startup significantly improved, but so is shut down. For a while I was get a message when I went to shut down the PC that some program was running and it would shut down in X seconds, but if I wanted to shut it off "now" I could. I would click OK to shut the program and then shut down would proceed although slowly. About 2 weeks ago the message and option to manually close the program stopped appearing and I would just have to wait for the shut down process to proceed at its own, snail like, pace. Not any more. Shut down is (I think) faster than its ever been, including when the PC was brand new and had no apps loaded on it other than those that came bundled (does anyone have any idea why this may be?).

Startupdelay is a fine little freeware program and I want to take this opportunity to thank the creator of the List of Lists thread for creating the list. I visit it first when looking for an app and more often than not my search begins and ends there. Much appreciated.

Startupdelay
    http://www.r2.com.au/software.php?page=2&show=startdelay

from

http://lists.thedatalist.com/pages/System_Startup_Tools.php

2. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Using it here. It allows to have a congenial startup.

(BTW, WinPatrol has a startup delayer feature).

:cool:

3. HAN

HAN Registered Member

We use WinPatrol's delay feature on several PCs at work. I feel it helps there too...

4. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.