STARTUP SCAN ??

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by jolli, Aug 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jolli

jolli Registered Member

I installed nod 32 v3 trial in a new laptop last week.
    I stopped the startup scans.
    Scheduled my own scans.
    All was working well.

So I purchased a licence.
    All was good.

Today i replaced a 1gb ram module with 2gb so now i have 4gb (2x2).

Since doing that....
    Nod is scanning on startup to around 10000 files.
    In The Scheduler -all startup scans are unticked.
    My scans are scheduled for 3 weeknights & set to Task Not to run if not done at specified time.

Its driving me nuts.
    Has it gone back to some default setting by upgrading the ram,
    even though startup scans are unticked??

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It cannot be the startup scanner, otherwise you'd have 10,000 entries in the registry keys that ensure automatic application startup. The startup scanner runs with the lowest priority so you shouldn't notice any significant impact on performance at all.

If you mean that the real-time file protection shows 10,000 scanned files, I assume these are accessed by the system itself during the system startup, or you have installed an application that often modifies certain files (ie. continually writing to a log file). I'd suggest using Filemon (or Process monitor) from Microsoft to monitor which files are accessed and subsequently scanned.

3. jolli

jolli Registered Member

yeah i downloaded it process monitor - out of my league.
    how many processes do i have to look at 500000.

what happened to installing it and just leaving it.

when i disabled real time protection in "File System Monitor"
    it says "Malfunctioning"...... iS this right?

it was not doing this yesterday & i have not installed anything except ram!
    process explorer just shows ekrn.exe going up to 50%+. its sending my hard drive off for 10 min after startup.
    chewing up my ram slowly the more it scans. fsm jumped from 16000 files to 35000 in under a sec.

maybe if file system monitor showed what is was scanning it would be a LOT easier hey.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  4. jolli

jolli Registered Member

5. phlash

phlash Registered Member

Could this start up scan be causing XP Pro machines to freeze on boot if anything (mouse or keyboard) is used until the machine completely boots up to the desktop? We have had an issue with this and removing eset made the issue go away. I'm wondering if the startup scan is causing this?

On a related note, we have had to remove it from a server (win2000) as well. Not because of the freezing bootup, but be cause at times the server would just go totally unresponsive to any requests remotely or locally and have to be restarted. I removed eset and installed F-prot in it's place and we have had no issues with the problem since. Could the update scan be causing this issue?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.