startup scan in progress

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by jdelgado, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aido

aido Registered Member

As some posts above the problem comes with the last update. You should deactive the Startup-scan in the Configuration windows should work. Try this please let us now if works.

2. Lio

Lio Registered Member

Hi Aido,
    yes it seems to solve the problem .... but is it safe for the security?
    Thanks
    Lio

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

No, disabling the startup scans is not safe as it deactivates one of the protection layers.

4. mothman5

mothman5 Registered Member

Disabling pre-release updates + reboot fixed this issue for me
    Win7 x64

5. BlackMamba

BlackMamba Registered Member

Yea, I am having the same issue I think: started a smart scan and ESET Security 4.2.58.3 with:

Virus signature database: 5371 (20100816)
    Update module: 1031 (20091029)
    Antivirus and antispyware scanner module: 1284 (20100729)
    Advanced heuristics module: 1112 (20100813)
    Archive support module: 1121 (20100813)
    Cleaner module: 1048 (20091123)
    Anti-Stealth support module: 1021 (20100811)
    Personal firewall module: 1061 (20100607)
    Antispam module: 1014 (20100212)
    SysInspector module: 1216 (20100517)
    Self-defense support module : 1016 (20100404)
    Real-time file system protection module: 1004 (20100727).

It hangs on one of my storage drives on an .iso file. I fell asleep thinking it would finish when i woke up but hasn't. To say the least I am disappointed. Does anyone have any clues as to why it did this? o_O

I did a restart as suggested and it did quit but at this point I am lost. I am using Windows 7 64-bit operating system, fully updated. It was a new install since my last anti-virus ate TrustedInstaller and the repair didn't take is the reason I switched AV programs. I am trying the security suite and liking the system thus far but this is getting to be too much.

Thanks for any input in advance.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

1, since this issue is not related to a startup scan whatsoever, create a new thread for it
    2, check Protection status -> Statistics if the number of scanned files is actually rising and the name of the scanned file changing when scanning the iso file
    3, a log from Process Monitor would shed more light
    4, PM me a link to the iso file so that I can reproduce it on my end

7. BlackMamba

BlackMamba Registered Member

1. Where is my thread?
    2. tried to PM you and I get this: The private messaging system is currently unavailable. @ 850AM EST

I will get the process monitor and get back to you but need a thread or the name of the thread

oops, i see i didnt read correctly i'll create a new thread when i'm ready. I had a RAID crash on me so I'll be back with some new information when I get ready.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  8. taeke

taeke Registered Member

There seems to be no new thread so I hope Marcos won't kick my arse if I continue :blink:

I was supposed to do a memory dump, but unfortunately the nature of my work (called for freelance) made it not happen. In preparation to see how far things were, I saw a new version was available.
    Now, sometimes when an update is installed, then afterwards the Realtime File Protection doesn't start at boot. I know the solution is to uninstall ESET and reinstall. Since I had this problem and I wanted to install the update, I uninstalled 4.2.58, installed 4.2.64.12 and the start-up issue on my Win7/x64 is gone!!!
    To experiment I did an update to ".64" without uninstalling on Vista, and the issue remains. So now I will uninstall ESET on Vista and see what happens next.

Will come back later, but thought I would share this already with you :)

EDIT: Uninstalling and reinstalling solved the never ending "startup scan in progress" for me on Win 7/x64 and Vista /x64. I played with the Scehduler settings (scan at user logon, scan at startup) and after every boot there was a short scan and that was it. Even a scan after a virus-database update is short.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.