Startup Problem Persists With PG 1.3

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by spm, Feb 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spm

spm Registered Member

Huh? Isn't this a red-herring? While Peter2150's BSODs might be related to PG and hyperthreading, I don't see the relevance of this to the startup issue I and others have reported in this thread.

2. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

It has no relevance to the startup issue you are correct. I was just replying to Peter's post.

-Jason-

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Jason. Need to remind the Beta testers to check and see if HT is actually enabled. My computer came from Velocity Micro, who tends to build high performance game machines. I was surprised to find out that HT was disabled. I called, asked, and then turned on HT. Some of the testers with HT machines might find HT is actually turned off.

4. Peter2150

Two things.

1. Very relevant to the startup problems. All the crashes I was experiencing today were at startup. Also I didn't mention it, but when I crashed, the only way to recover was to come up in safe mode. When I opened the PG gui, to disable PG, I got the same error message you are referencing, about the failure to open the kernal etc etc.

2. I didn't realize it but at the time AP's (Abtrusion Protectors) protections were off. By this I mean AP has options to Provide Boot Protection, Registry Protection, and Install Directory Protection. The point of these are for AP to protect itself. I did a defrag, and then turned these back on. Ugh. Startup crashes came back. Recovered, turned them back off, and all seems well.

Point is you might also have some program protecting itself which could be causing a conflict. Another area to check.

5. Peter2150

Arrrrg!!!. Since my last posting, I am about to take back everything I said. I am not sure what is going on other than system instability. I am going private with Jason.

6. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I converted my 4 PC's to PG 1.300 last night. Saw the startup problem on 2 of them, seems to have no problems on 2 others. The 2 "problem systems" are ones the kids use (heavy on games and some of the add-ons that are with them, AIM generally in startup, etc.) and seems intermittent. Not a whole lot of rhyme and reason yet.

Blue

7. Hagbard

Hagbard Registered Member

I still get the "Could not open kernel mode driver." PG seems to be working though. Ignore it?

I uninstalled PG1.2, removed all keys from the registry, saw to it that procguard.sys etc. were gone from \windows\... etc., rebooted.
    Then I installed PG, made sure the key file was in the right directory, rebooted.

Now it's open instead of connect, the semantics of which escape me.

8. Jason_DiamondCS

It seems to be something to do with the boot process (when USERINIT.exe is doing things). To fix this issue once and and for all in future versions it will be changed how the driver is opened and how the GUI works in this regard.

I am thinking the GUI will load as usual but continually attempt to open the driver, while it is trying to open the driver it will say "Trying to open driver..." . When this is occuring some of the GUI parts relating to the driver will be disabled. So if it takes 30 seconds on your machine to open the driver on startup, so be it, you won't get an error you just won't be able to use certain parts of the PG gui until it opens the driver. This won't affect people who don't see the message at all, it will just make the whole process a lot "smoother".

-Jason-

9. controler

controler Guest

Hi

I am not sure if this Key will cause a problem with a reinstall but
    to find it I needed to search for process guard besides procguard
    in the registry using Registar lite. I will give it a try since I am having the same issue here now.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Diamond Computer Systems\Process Guard

10. controler

controler Guest

Ok removing that key and reinstalling was a bad idea.
    After removing that key and reinstalling my computer would keep rebooting

I guess to get PG to work on my system, I will need tp reformat again.

con

11. spm

spm Registered Member

OK Jason, that sounds like it will probably work. I see also that you plan on adding program checksums in the next version, too (very welcome!): do you have any idea of the timescales for these?

12. Jason_DiamondCS

I would say "not that long" is a good time frame ;) .

The most important thing I am trying to work on is why some systems have massive compatibility problems with Process Guard. It is most probably due to other software installed, but I think this is an important issue.

-Jason-

13. spm

spm Registered Member

Fine. You're right - there was no point in me asking. I don't know why I did (except that it was after 4am here at the time) ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.