Startup files necessity

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Midnight Rambler, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Midnight Rambler

Midnight Rambler Registered Member

To enhance system performance, it is recommended that one minimize startup programs/files/services loading. Accordingly, I unchecked (deactivated) all three Acronis TI related startup files: Acronis Scheduler2 Service, Acronis Timounter Monitor and TrueImageMonitor.exe (see .gif below).

I learned the hard way that Scheduler2 Service is necessary to avoid the dreaded "Error #1722: The RPC server is unavailable" error. So I reactivated it.

Why are Timounter Monitor and TrueImageMonitor.exe still necessary?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

3. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

This issue comes up periodically. The amount of resources used by the TI services is minimal and as you have learned some are essential. I see no value add to turning them off. The processes in question on my machine use:
    schedhlp.exe 1276K
    schedul2.exe 1156K
    TimounterMonitor.exe 2092k
    TrueImageMonitor.exe 1496k
    I have a P3 1GHZ laptop with 512MB Ram and I can detect no impact on the performance. Read the sticky link at https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=29880.

4. Midnight Rambler

Midnight Rambler Registered Member

Thanks to you both.

Clicked on all links suggested and decided to leave all three running since it appears neither Timounter Monitor nor TrueImageMonitor.exe eat up resources to a great degree and could prove useful.

Thomasjk: Don't see "schedhlp.exe 1276K" as a fourth startup item. I run ATI version 9.0 (build 3,854). Is schedhlp.exe not native to this version?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
  5. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Yes its part of the build. Run Msconfig and check the correct box. If there is no listing for it in Msconfig you may need to do a repair install.

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Just one of my own little rants here but lots of stuff one hears about how to maximize speed or improve operation in Win XP by disabling this or that service or startup program, or moving the swap file, changing memory alloations, turn out to have little or now appreciable benefit and sometimes cost one more than they benefit, like doing without a service you actually want to use in eachange for gaining maybe a 1/4 second of CPU time per day.

It's a shame to see advice like "minimizing services enhances performance." Ime, one can about as easily unenhance perfromance by shutting down services as the other way around. While not having program conflicts is desirable, "less is more" is just not a generally applicable rule with computers. Sometimes less of a certain thing works out better and sometimes not.

Mucking with services is a quick way to get into trouble.

What those two services in question do is stated here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=155440&highlight=TrueImageMonitor

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Midnight Rambler,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that k0lo, thomasjk and shieber are correct. Please also see this thread for more details on Acronis True Image services.

Regarding not running schedhlp.exe, please note that you can run the schedhlp.exe (\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2) manually in Windows Task Manager (File->New Task).

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.