Start Windows System Restore from a command prompt

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by TheKid7, Jun 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

2. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

The problem with that is often malware will lock the restore points so System Restore is more than normally useless. If one is able to get to the command prompt, just typing "explorer" gets to a desktop and should allow any malware to be removed from there.

3. TheKid7

Thank you.

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I've never needed to use the commandline option for System Restore. In my experience if SAFE mode is going to work at all I can get to the desktop. If SAFE mode doesn't work then I fall back on an optical boot disk. With Windows 7 I use an OS disk which will boot to the repair options and SR can be accessed there. With XP I use something like the Kaspersky rescue CD which does a good job of removing malware that prevents the system from booting.

5. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Agree with you that boot disks are nice, but I can't (and don't want to) count the times that friends/family have called me at 3AM (do Time Zones mean nothing to them?) because they will have some form of Ransonware or other. And the one thing I can be sure of is that they've never heard or seen of a startup disk.

Command prompt-explorer- regedit to kill the startup entry and Windows Explorer to delete the file in Roaming will allow me to get back to sleep in a jif.

6. TheKid7

Thank you.

7. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Dang, you answer your phone at 3AM? :cautious:

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Just a forenote regarding system restore exclusively on Windows 8, dunno but maybe 7 too.

Unlike XP, System Restore is strickly reliant on VSS, commonly referred to as Volume Shadow Copy for it's restore points. Been experimenting with malware lately and if users of 8 depend too heavily on just system restore (and the unlearned usually do) and a malware targets successfully either the vss. file or bugs up the VSS service in any way, it may become neccesssary to do at least a REFRESH to fix it again but the restore points will be erased.

9. TheKid7

That is another reason to justify making routine Images of the Windows System Partition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.