Start up scans

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by ukrkoz, May 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ukrkoz

ukrkoz Registered Member

Hi all

I have fairly old computer as my office machine. I have ESET NOD32 on it, and it works well. Too well.
    Every time I turn on PC, it duly scans it and as a result, it locks PC for about 5 minutes.
    I am OK with those scans to run twice or so a month. But for the love of whichever one is god of programmers, I can not find how to change settings so that ESET will scan when I ask it to do.
    Time is of great value at work, and I am basically spinning thumbs waiting for that to pass. Does same when I start Outlook to access calendar, but that's maybe a minute or so lost.
    Please?

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hello and Welcome to Wilders. :)

Well the startup scan should not take 5min, rather between 3-10 Sec to finish.
    Though it's not recommended to turn the startup scan off as they are quite effective. So we will try to find out why they are taking so long for you.

What OS do you use, and what version of ESET NOD32 do you have installed?

P.S I have an old PC too 9yr, so age is not the problem ;)

3. ukrkoz

ukrkoz Registered Member

Thank you
    Would have been nice for everything to be the way it is supposed to be.
    W XP. PC is about 6 yo. ESET NOD32ANTIVIRUS V 4.2.71.2
    On my home custom PC, it runs for - like you said, 10-15 seconds without any influence on PC speed. On office one, au contraire, it basically locks machine down for several minutes. Maybe not quite 5, but I can go to boys room down the hall and come back, and it'll just finish.
    BTW, I am at home, so for any hands on instructions, I'll have to do it tomorrow. All I want is to disable regular start up scans. I had McAfee once, that was the same nightmare.

4. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Adjust your start-up scan as per this ESET article - Automatic system startup scan runs slowly or hangs -

This should minimize the amount of time the scan scheduler consumes before normal operation can take place. Let us know if there are issues subsequent to adjusting these settings.

5. ukrkoz

ukrkoz Registered Member

SWEET!!!! Thank you. Just did it on my home PC. Set to once a week.

VERY GRATEFUL. Seriously.:thumb:

6. siljaline

You should not have adjusted those required scheduled scan levels to once a week. Contact ESET Support. They will be more than happy to walk you through adjusting the settings to as low a level of impact so as not to have your PC hanging as you describe.

7. ukrkoz

ukrkoz Registered Member

I did. It's corporate computer. I am only one of 300 end users. They sent me back email requesting correct email associated for the license. I turned it back to my HQ IT guy. He told me, he has no access to that email and barked me out. So once a week at idle it is.

8. siljaline

If you have discovered a discrepancy on a Corporate Network of PC's running this configuration you should have your IT People talk to ESET directly.

ESET San Diego may be reached at:
    1-866-343-3738
    If you are not US or Canada based, ESET will provide your local reseller or support partner. http://www.eset.com/us/language-selector/

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  9. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Adjusting startup scan task settings is not recommended or you may end up having issues with cleaning ransomware (LockScreen) or other advanced malware without using a rescue cd.
    If you disable startup scan tasks or leave only one enabled, does the problem actually go away? I'm willing to connect to your computer remotely to debug the issue.

10. ukrkoz

ukrkoz Registered Member

oopsie!!

There is no tools menu in my office ESET. All I have is Protection status, Computer Scan, Update, Setup, and help and support. NO Tools menu and NO access to Scheduler in Tools menu.

OK, I got it. Had to change view to Advanced, and now it shows Tools.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.