Start up problem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Sweetie(*)(*), Oct 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

Hi, was helping my bro to get his notebook running a little faster.
    There where 68 running processes, all legitimate no spyware or viruses etc.
    So I edited the start up processes, all was good at 38, untill Norton security suite started adding the other 30, back to total of 68.

Now I know that is a lot, but the notebook is a Toshiba and it has 11 start up processes for various short cuts and Norton has a few as well.

It seemed to me that Norton was protecting the start up list.
    I dont use Norton or Symantec products my self, so if anyone has expiernce with Norton or this type of problem it would be a great help.

Cant take Norton off as it is a company notebook.

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well not all startup items are in startup section. Some are launched via Services directly. For example iPod service with iTunes work this way.

3. Sweetie(*)(*)

Yeah I used Winpatrol 8 to change the start up prosesses.

After a restart there are 38 running processes, but after Norton loads [slow]
    the processes go back to 68.

4. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

The default settings for NIS stink! Perhaps you should post this question at the NIS forum.

The less stuffs you have running in the background, the more responsive your system will be. And you may also increase the security level by disabling some un-used items in Services. My XP Pro partition has 14 items in Services that are set to auto launch during PC boot. The MSCONFIG\STARTUP tab has two more items. You will probably need to auto launch touch pad, battery management, and Wi-Fi applications for the notebook. I could see 20 to 25 (max) "AUTO" items in Services. Check out the Blackviper website to help you eliminate un-needed items in Services. If you're not sure about the item, then set it to "MANUAL" mode.

Why auto-launch an item during PC boot just because it has a short cut icon? Click on the icon when you need to run the application. Put the firewall and antivirus programs in auto mode. Kill the rest.

5. Sweetie(*)(*)

All the non essential processes were stopped from starting with windows.
    I used MSconfig and Winpatrol 8.

The problem is after Norton loads it restarts the services thst were stopped/killed.

[ Why was this thread moved here, it directly relates to an AV scanner that is not oficially supported on this forum; therefore "Other anti virus software" is the logical place. ]

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I'll check into that for ya....but it's possible it was because it was concerning a function of "Norton security suite" and NOT strictly the AV portion of it's software ?

7. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

What are the names of those services that were reloaded? How do you know that they are related to NIS? I'm not sure if you can blame all 30 on NIS.

List those items that you believe should stay, and those that should go. You should also go into SERVICES and confirm that these items are actually running in the background. Winpatrol may not function properly.

8. Sweetie(*)(*)

OK the 30 services DO NOT directly relate to Norton.

NORTON is reloading services that have been stopped manually.
    Like it has some sort of protection over start list, if so this is fair enough, i would just like to turn it off.

winpatrol was added after the services restarted with Norton as a second option to MSconfig, as far as i know it works perfectly.

9. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

I cannot provide additional inputs without the their names.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.