Start-Up Lets Users Track Who Tracks Them

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Robin A., Apr 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

What do you mean by Google trackers, cookies?

NoScript by default white list google.com, googleapis.com and gstatic.com; I installed NoScript in a new profile to verify this.

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I gave this extension a try. Overall works great. I just wish that it could have an option to always enable Content blocking, with options to tweak, and also the possibility to double-click grey circles in the Visualize page.

3. NotRight

NotRight Registered Member

Can anyone explain further which program is better?

I have been using Ghostery for a while now, only to realize that I had to manually block everything myself.

That isn't much of a problem, but I did decide to try Disconnect out. I find that Disconnect automatically blocks them and more then Ghostery did.

Wondering why and which program is best.

Regards,
    Me

4. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I don't quite recall all the options in Ghostery (I only tried it for a few seconds the other day), but when you first installed it didn't it take you to a step by step configuration where you had the change to enable/disable specific tracking? You may want to check that out.

As to which one is better, they all have pros and cons, IMHO. I like DoNotTrackMe. I don't know why, but I just didn't like Disconnect. I suppose I don't feel confortable not knowing which trackers they block/don't block. DoNotTrackMe and Ghostery do let us know the ad/tracking companies that they block in their tools.

DoNotTrackMe and Nimi Web Cleanser are working quite well for me. :)

5. NotRight

Interesting. I'll have to look in to DoNotTrackMe. I might uninstall Disconnect if noone can vouch or verify for the company/program. The youtube video they use for marketing made it seem impressive :\ Thanks for the reply.

6. NotRight

Anyone?

7. inka

inka Registered Member

Search my past posts.
    IMO "dOnOTtrACKme" is a pathetic joke.
    Per my careful examination, Ghostery "does zackly what it sez on the tin".

My take on Disconnect / DisconnectMe / Disconnect2 is that it's an underpowered knockoff/wannabe.
    Wants to be AdBlockPlus someday? Wants to be Ghostery? I won't guess...
    ...in the meantime, it's an over-hyped wannabe, purveyed by an ego-trippin, name-dropping (Google) blogmonkey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.