Start-Up Lets Users Track Who Tracks Them

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Robin A., Apr 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

2. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

It seems similar to Ghostery extension, doesn't it?

3. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I haven´t used Ghostery. I am using Disconnect 2 with Firefox, default configuration. No problems at all. The pages seem to load faster, and I see less ads.

4. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

5. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

It looks pretty good. I got a chuckle out of it being an ex Google ad guy that created it, but those are honestly the types we need. They know usually what can be blocked without interfering with the web, instead of the ad blockers that pretty much just block everything and leave it up to users to work around it. I'll have to give this a try. I still wish there was a list for AdBlock/ABP or even an extension that could block the random pop-ups that I run into once I start getting deeper into the corners of the web (not malware pop-ups, these just seem good at avoiding built in pop-up blocking). It sucks that the home page is down.

6. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

It's already broke. I installed it, it worked for a couple of sites and then quit blocking. Restarted Chrome, deleted history/cookies, no dice. Removed the extension, put it back on, still nada. It's also disabling content blocking by itself after I enable it. I'd look at the FAQ, but since the entire website for them is down, that won't happen either. I got it through the Chrome store.

7. siljaline

It's also broke compared to what ? They do have a board
    https://forum.disconnect.me/ for issues, you might want to use it.

So, you ran it a few hours or maybe a day and your giving the app a bad rap.

8. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

That's a hell of a lot longer than it takes for some to give an app a bad rap, lol. I'm allowed to do that when something stops working for no reason whatsoever, even though I'd hardly call what I said a "bad rap", more along the lines of "What the crap happened?". I wasn't comparing it to anything else, I don't need to, it was simply broken. Now it seems to be working again after multiple Chrome restarts. If you'll kindly read my previous post again, you'll see that I said the website was down. Chill, I'm not dogging anything, simply looking for answers.

9. siljaline

Based on what information ? Oh, or maybe it's your Chrome installation, did you look under the hood :cautious:
    Conflict with something else you have installed ? Evidence is in the pudding.

I did read the FAQ, always do before I give a bad rap. RTM.

10. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

You're confusing me, I didn't tell you to look at the FAQ. I said "I'd look at the FAQ but the site is down". So, I can't RTM.

I doubt anything is needed changed under the hood since it's basically a default install minus blocking 3rd party cookies.

As far as conflicts with other extensions, all I had was AdBlock, which I disabled and tried Disconnect again, which showed the same non-working behavior. DoNotTrackMe, which does practically the same thing, is working flawlessly. So, at the moment I have to believe Disconnect had something going on with it. Perhaps temporarily, but that's the evidence I have.

Read my post again though if you have some belief that I'm bad mouthing the product. You should see clearly that I wasn't.

11. siljaline

Bumping post to say that am very much enjoying the app :thumb:

12. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

The one thing I don't quite get is the "content" part. It recommends not to block any of that, but I see lots of things that should be blocked in there. I "get" the app itself and what it does, I'm just not certain I "get" how it determines what to block and what not to.

After some initial hiccups it seems to be stable and working as I assume is intended. I do like that, unlike DoNotTrack, it doesn't rely on opting out.

13. siljaline

My understand of the "content" option is: (and I may be wrong) -

All the content removed by this option is a default | the panel should display as Grey - and not - Green.

When selected as Grey (default) - (none) of the content is filtered for the given page you are viewing.

If you wish to temporarily whitelist content certain ad-server content, you must select them individually via the check box.

Flipping over the content panel or option to Green - flags or filters all content other than Facebook, Google & Twitter. This may result in you viewing a raw style sheet.

I've found the app especially handy in blocking Facebook delivered content, such as the whole Facebook Activity on a given web page - for those that don't want users getting duped into turning on the Facebook platform just because a web page is telling them to do so.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  14. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I think I'm following, but I'll ask anyway, so this is mostly to block social media tracking and not necessarily all 3rd party ad/tracking servers?

15. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Nevermind, had I did a little more digging I would have found out my answer. It's basically a more powerful "DoNotTrackMe", without opt-in cookies. The "Content" part tripped me up until I realized DoNotTrackMe does the same exact thing with things that could break a page.

16. siljaline

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  17. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I'm testing Disconnect right now. I've used Ghostery before, I cannot remember why I removed it but it for something I didn't like. I've also tried Do Not Track Me, I did not like that one at all, especially the several hundred added do not track cookies. Another reason is I do not trust that company.

I've only been testing for a couple of days, to be honest I just don't see much reason to keep it yet. I will give it more time of course before I decide.

18. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Any special reason why you don't trust Abine?

19. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I think it's hard to trust any company, you know, fully trust them. Privacy policies don't mean much anymore and, unless you actually work for these companies, you really have no idea what they're doing with your data or what the companies are doing period. I don't trust Ghostery for the simple fact that they are a wee too close to being an ad agency themselves (yeah, I read the FAQ, I smell BS). I somewhat trust DoNotTrackMe, but I don't like that it relies on "opt-outs" and using cookies to do so. That seems rather like the Do Not Track header situation, you're relying on these companies to respect your wishes and be good little boys and girls.

20. m00nbl00d

I agree it's hard to fully trust anyone. Really anyone. :argh: But, is such distrust based on facts, or simply a "feeling"? (Talking about Abine here.)

Considering this is about privacy tools, some say, including you, they don't trust Ghostery (the company behind it). For the first time, I've seen someone mentioning they don't trust Abine. Others don't trust the current developer behind ABP (his latest intentions).

By the way, regarding Abine DoNotTrackMe, it doesn't solely rely on opt-out cookies, that's just part of it. You can also disable either/both (both would be pointless, though ;)) of the protections it offers to you.

21. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Evidon, even after getting as much information as I can before going by "feeling"..just doesn't "feel" right. Abine I don't really have an issue with, and I know they don't rely only on opt-out cookies. But, my opinion is that bothering with opting out to begin with is an exercise in futility. I think most people have gotten over "ABP-Gate". The setting is optional, easily avoidable and has no effect on the functionality of ABP.

22. chrisretusn

Well... since you asked. The first time I encountered then, an early version of "DoNotTrackMe", the site read like a "snake oil" sales pitch to me. It's not so bad now, but I am a believer in "If it sounds to good to be true it probably isn't".

I discovered those hundred plus "DoNotTrack" cookies that were installed and could not find anything at the time that even mention them or how to turn them off. I was a bit miffed to find I could not delete them either. They also took over two of my favorite extensions, Secure Login and Autofill Forms. Both are no longer maintained. The extension pages are simply an advert page with a pointer to DoNotTrackMe. There was a "Privacy Suite" that sounded promising and I see it's no longer referenced on the site. I tried it out once, it lasted less that five minute before it was removed.

http://web.archive.org/web/20121003103050/http://www.abine.com/apps.php

Bottom line, it a feeling that they are up to something.

23. m00nbl00d

Now that you mention all of that, your username wasn't that unfamiliar to me, and now I know why. We have discussed about it in the past. :D

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=312391&highlight=abine

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=318500&highlight=abine (Mostly here!)

:)

24. chrisretusn

Oh yeah... I remember that. I must be getting old... lol

25. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Kind of an unrelated comment, but going through that old thread and seeing discussion of these extensions not blocking certain things, I wanted to point out that all of them seem to leave Google trackers alone. Even Disconnect allows them by default. In fact, I think even NoScript does.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.