Start menu is WAY out of hand! To many programs!

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by SonyaM32, Jun 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonyaM32

SonyaM32 Registered Member

My start menu [all programs] is so full, that it goes completely off the screen. I have tried resizing my menu, but it only will go down to a size 15. Any suggestions? I don't excactly know how to remove stuff from the start menu. Is there any other options? I have Windows XP. :)

2. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

If you go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs you can see all the program folders and shortcuts that are on your start menu. You can organize them however you like, for example you could put all your security applications into one folder, so they don’t take up as much room on the start menu. You may also want to check out C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\Start Menu\Programs as sometimes apps install shortcuts there as well. The only drawback to doing this is that when you un-install a program it will not be able to find the shortcut location to delete it (since you have changed it), so you will need to do it manually which takes 2 seconds.

3. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Yup, couldn't agree more, just organise them into folders like 'security' 'games' 'multimedia' 'utilities' etc etc. Makes things really easy to find.

4. SonyaM32

Thanks! :D

5. SonyaM32

I never use them from the start menu anyway, I always either search, or I have an icon on my desktop. Actually everything is already in folders, but there's just too many. :rolleyes:
    I should be able to just delete stuff from my start menu, and it still be on my computer, rite?
    Aren't those just shortcuts?
    And yep, I am just now getting around to it, lol :D

6. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Right...
    The things in your start menu are just shortcuts so you can remove anything you do not want.

I did what they posted above several years ago and I have about 10 things showing up under "programs". In reality, there are hundreds of things in those folders, but it is very tidy. :)

7. SonyaM32

Thanks! :)
    I deleted ALOT of stuff, and put the remaining stuff into seperate named folders so I can find them easy.
    Thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.