Standby/Sleep mode with laptops

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Osaban, Sep 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

It is well known that to shift a powered on laptop could lead to HD damage (I suppose that when done carefully and for a short distance it's OK).

My question is what happens to the the hard disk drive's head when it is in sleep mode? Does it retract? Is it safe to carry the laptop with the display panel closed in sleep mode? The reason I ask is that sometimes with my netbook to move to another floor at work it might save a lot of time if you have to see somebody for say 10 minutes or if you are in a hurry.

Any advice is appreciated.

2. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

In sleep mode the Laptop shuts off after saving your current session to memory(RAM). So, only your RAM remains powered on, the rest of the Laptop is off, including your hard disk.

3. Raza0007

Here is a flash graphic (open the url in a new window) that explains what happens to the hard disk head during sleep state.

Actually the graphic explains a WD technology called "securepark" which securely parks the head during hard disk's "idle" states or when hard disk sensor senses free fall.
    This is also where the head is when hard disk is powered off.

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Thanks. So it would be quite safe to put it in its bag and carry it around as if it was completely off (no heat problems).

5. Raza0007

Yeah, you can carry it around in a closed bag, as it is completely off.

6. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

As far as I know my Asus netbook doesn't have this "sensormeter" for free falls, now reading your post, is this common practice to all laptops HDs drive heads? I'm aware that only Asus could answer, on its instructions help file it only says that the drive head retracts when the computer is turned off.

7. Raza0007

What hard disk is inside the Asus. I am sure Asus does not manufacture hard drives.

No, the free fall sensor and secure park technology are available only in the newer drives by some manufacturers, so they are not standard. But all disk drives park their heads securely when they are powered off or when computer is put in sleep mode.

8. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Thanks Raza0007, I've done some research following your suggestions and my Asus Eee 1002HA has a Seagate Momentous 5400.5 HD which according to the specifications is built for rugged conditions. I think it has the secure park technology but not the fall sensor (laptops are not supposed to be dropped anyway!)

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.