Standard Scan TEMPLATE - Threat Sense-Target Settings

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by ptmx2, Sep 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ptmx2

ptmx2 Registered Member

Hello,

I requested Support from ESET after searching the ESET Knowledge Base and finding no applicable information.
    I am now repeating my request on this Forum after a keyword search that returned no results.

> my PURPOSE: I want to use the ESET 3.0.683 STANDARD SCAN as a starting point to create custom scans.

> My REQUEST: Please provide the "template" and/or the default profile=(Threat Sense and Target Settings) for the ESET STANDARD SCAN.

thank you....

Windows XP_SP3
    Stand-alone computer
    NOT Networked
    Using Registered with Eset ESET-AV

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  2. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

3. ptmx2

ptmx2 Registered Member

Brammbb.

Thank you for the reply and the outstanding detailed plan.

My one question, which is in part rhetorical, do you know for sure that SMART SCAN=STANDARD SCAN ? After reading thru all of the help file, I am personally not sure.

I did submit the question to ESET Support.
    Unfortunately, the ESET Customer Service (CS) representative is, essentially, refusing to address my simple question.

I ran into a similiar CS person from MS once. I guess he enjoyed trying to make simple things complex, or maybe he just loved to confuse people. Either way, finding the same kind of person in Customer Support at ESET makes me think much less of ESET as a company.

Any company that can not or will not make straight forward CS reps available to its customer's tells me more than I need to know about it. It's really not a big deal when it comes right down to it. I can live without it. It does make me wonder why ESET is trying so hard to resist my request with such gusto however. :thumbd:

Again, thank you. :thumb:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  4. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

Well by 'standard scan', do you mean the 'standard' on-demand scan when you want to do a computer scan from the GUI?

Then yes, this scan is called 'Smart scan' (again in V4) as you can see on the screenshot below:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/349356/esetscanwindow.png

/edit: on V3 its called 'standard scan', see this KB article. So this name should be listed if you want to copy those settings.

5. ptmx2

ptmx2 Registered Member

Thank you once again.
    > YES. In v.3 the "Standard Scan" I am referring to is the on-demand scan in the GUI.
    It is interesting that in v4, the GUI has been revised to call that scan "Smart Scan”.
    > RE: the KB Article. In v3, when I run the "Standard Scan" from the GUI, the log file only lists scanned files that could not open due to various reasons. In my case, all are system .LOG or .DAT files. Because I cannot access the Standard Scan, and there is no Standard Scan profile, I cannot revise the Threat Sense Engine\ Other\’Log All Objects’ option.

After reading your second post, and assuming that the v.3 Standard Scan=the v3 Smart Scan, I went back into the Setup Tree\On Demand Scans\ and examined the existing Profiles available. [Please note: when I installed ESET AV v.3.xxx, four “default” scan Profiles where made available in the Setup Tree\On Demand Computer Scan\Profiles drop down menu. One of those Profiles is labeled "Smart Scan". The other three are: ‘In-depth scan’; ‘My profile’; and ‘Context Menu Scan’.] [I also seemed to recall that each of those four 'default' scan Profiles were preset during the install of the ESET v3 AV. Each Profile was installed with specific threat sense engine and target locations.]

I navigated to "On Demand Computer Scan" in the Setup tree. I selected the "Smart Scan" profile. Under the scan setup, I then clicked on the Threat Sense Engine button to see if the Smart Scan Profile contained any settings. I found that the TSEngine had various options already selected in each of the five Threat Sense Engine parameters setup window. I then selected DEFAULT for each of the five TSEngine parameters, backed out by selecting OK-OK, and closed the ESET GUI.

I then *re-entered the Setup Tree\On-Demand Scan through the GUI to access the Profiles window once again. The selected profile was still set to Smart Scan. This time I clicked the Setup button for Scan Targets. Another window opened. It is entitled Select Scan Targets. This window *also has a drop down menu with five options. They are: 'no selection'; 'by profile settings'; 'removable media'; 'hard drives'; and 'network drives'. One *must choose one of the four Active selections to move forward. I chose 'by profile settings' hoping to see the ESET “default” scan targets for the Smart Scan Profile. Unfortunately, no targets were selected for the Smart Scan Profile. I must be responsible for this as I have been poking around in the Scan setup arena for some time now.

Anyway, I looked to see if EST v3 AV had a re-install or repair option within the ESET GUI and or in the XP Add/Remove Program Applets of the Control Panel. No re-install or repair option was found in either of these two locations. So it appears that if I accept that in v3 Standard Scan=Smart Scan, which I do accept, I need to un-install and re-install if I want to at least feel that I have some control of the ESET v3 scanning process. > And I am amazed at myself in that once I get a hold on something, regardless of its importance, or in this case, un-importance, I will not let go until I have remedied the problem, or, decided I have done all I can possibly do and I must give it up and move on.

>> Thank you once again for the very accurate, precise, and most importantly *factual information. It was a breath of fresh air after conversing with an eset customer service person via email about this same matter. If you have any more ideas, I welcome them. Otherwise, good day ! :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.