Standalone TDS-3 on CD

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by crazy8, Dec 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crazy8

crazy8 Guest

My goal is to create a known safe CD with antivirus/antitrojan software so that if my system ever becomes infected, I have something to work with (I've had virii before that target specific antivirus products, knocking them out).

So, what I did was perform a fresh install of Win2k w/SP4 (after gdisking it), then installed TDS-3. I then attempted to copy the TDS-3 folder over to another machine I hadn't installed TDS-3 on and see if it'd work (this has worked on many other programs I've worked with). But, in this case it did not. I found the thread about the required \system32 files and have copied them into the \system32 directory and registered them with regsvr32, however it still did not work. I installed the vbruntime also mentioned, but this still didn't work. I pulled the registry settings I thought might apply and imported them, but still no luck.

Any ideas? Thanks...

2. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

If a Trojan bypasses TDS, there is no use running TDS from somewhere else, because it will still not be detected.
    If you want to secure your security software, use Process Guard ;)
    Dolf

3. zguest

zguest Guest

I have already asked a similar question....

it would be great to have a TDS boot CD. This is because a rootkit will not be detected by TDS after it has been installed (i.e., even a signature update will not help after installation of the rootkit). By contrast, a TDS boot cd with updated sigs would help.

I have tried Bart's PEBuilder in order to create a TDS boot CD. But it did not work. I believe to remember that I got a .ole not registered failure. In summary, it seems to me that it is the responsibility of DCS to create a boot cd. Maybe this will be possible with tds4...

4. DolfTraanberg

Process Guard will protect you from rootkits.... ;)

5. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Mostly :) We feel we are no longer in a race with rootkits (real driver based rootkits), they are the ones who are behind. Development of Process Guard is ongoing of course, there is still a lot we want to do in the next few weeks and beyond.

However :) Hacker Defender 1.0 open source rootkit variants are still many months away, when that source is released and every slaphappy coder has THAT much power over Windows there will surely be a lot of trouble. We aren't too threatened by those rootkits for our customers sake, especially those with a good layered strategy.

A good layered strategy for internet security.. hmm someone could make a (rather large) book on that these days especially with the massive amount of adware going around. A book too big to print maybe :eek:

6. zguest

zguest Guest

@Gavin

In principle, I agree. But PG does not protect against static injection of loadlibrary. And this WILL come. Therefore, TDS4 module scanner is not superfluous...

Cheers zguest (will rename to ano1 since i run out of letters ; -)

7. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Nasty trojans will always be around, can be sure about that. Heuristics are the next big angle of attack on them for me ;)

And now for a coke :D enjoy your weekend ano1

8. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

:doubt: isnt it out already i think i got hit by something that would knock my system to safe mode on xp

after visting a website

all this security and i still got hit plus im updated

had to use goback nothing including back up registry could save me other then goback

9. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hmm a Blaze special i guess -- didn't it hit you from the kitchen sink when taking all those pictures? (guess many people would love to hire you for something like that!)

anyway this is what happened i guess:

Attached Files:

10. crazy8

crazy8 Guest

Again, to DiamondCD, I ask. What is necessary to create a Standalone TDS-3? What directory structure, registry entries, registered .ocx or .dll must we do?

Thanks...

11. Mr.Blaze

:doubt:will it could of been the ati driver card mixed with the xp fix

but im perty sure it a new script cause i reanact everything except the adult site and it work fine

what i dont get is im fully updated on everything

so now i have hta and dso on xp

will dimond registry work on xp? i want that to for extra hard core protection

12. DolfTraanberg

So far as I know RegistryProt will work on XP, if it doesn't, it can't hurt.
    Dolf

13. Mr.Blaze

:cool:way cool thx for the feed back

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.