Standalone process monitor like the one in Privatefirewall?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by allizomeniz, Jun 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I wasn't sure if this should go here or other firewalls, but since my question isn't about firewalls per se I thought I'd go ahead and try here.

Yesterday I checked out Privatefirewall. It didn't end up working out for me, but there was one thing I liked about it. In the Process Monitor I was able to block iWisoft Free Video Converter form trying to open my browser and check for updates. I went back to using Windows 7 Firewall Control and now I'm wondering if there might be a standalone process monitor similar to PF's I could use? I tried to search for process monitors but only got a bunch of hits for the Sysinternals process monitor and I know it can't do what I want. Couldn't find anything at Gizmo's either. There might be something but I couldn't find a category for it. Thanks. :)

2. paulescobar

paulescobar Registered Member

If I understand you correctly...you would like to be notified when a program attempts to execute...and you will decide whether to "allow" or "block" such an action.

In that case, I use a program called "NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro":
    http://www.novirusthanks.org/product/exe-radar-pro/

The program also has a support-thread here at Wilders (which is how I discovered it):
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=300552

It's very easy to use. It also has optimizations that prevent you from being bothered. This usually works through "whitelisting". For example, you won't be bothered by standard & routine operating system executions...or actions of external software you have decided to trust.

I use this program alongside "BiniSoft Windows Firewall Control". The BiniSoft WFC notifies & asks my permission for apps accessing the internet.

They both have a similar design and functionality...albeit with different purposes. Very easy to use, and gives you good knowledge & security about what's going on in your system.

3. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

Yes and no. I'd mostly like to be notified when one application attempts to start another one, like in the case of iWisoft Free Video Converter. The program you suggested looks like it should work; however, I tried Malware Defender and though it seems (theoretically at least) like it should work, it doesn't. If I make an application rule to deny FVC from starting a new process it doesn't work. Privatefirewall is the only thing I've found that works on FVC, but it causes too many other problems with my scheduled tasks. I might try the free trial of NoVirus, couldn't hurt.

4. ichito

ichito Registered Member

I suppose that you are using Win7?...I think the best solution could be SpyShelter...even Free version (only for 32-bit systems) can give you ability to control action of processes. Premium version of course can give more benefits especially for 64-bit systems.

http://www.spyshelter.com/download-spyshelter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.