standalone Adware/PUP scanner?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Snoop3, Jun 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

if i scan a program known to have OpenCandy or some other adware PUP crud at Metascan or Jotti etc it seems like ESET NOD is the only one (occassionlly Filseclab or ClamAV) that is calling it malware. i guess the others have all been pressured or bought off.

Would ESET consider making available a small standalone adware/PUP scanner?

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I think the ESET Online scanner will detect PUPs/PUAs, but i'm not sure.:doubt:

But you could also continue to use VT as you have done until now, if you're only going to scan one file to find out if there's PUPs/PUAs inside before installing.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

ESET never detects potentially unwanted or unsafe applications as malware. It's the problem of the file scanning service if they don't display correct classification.

4. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

5. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

It's possible that an unknowingly (or otherwise) infected application might be bundled with a PUA. In that case, you might see reports of both the malware and the PUA on the file. I'm not sure, though, as I don't recall this scenario happening off the top of my head, though.

You could probably use the ESET Command Line Scanner (filename: ECLS.EXE) with the appropriate command-line options to perform a scan only for adware, potentially unsafe and potentially unwanted applications only, if you wanted to search your download directory (or wherever you save downloaded files to). It probably would be better just to scan them as they were downloaded, as well as periodically scanning that directory.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

6. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

thanks for the replies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.