Stand-by instead of starting again?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sweater, Sep 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    One person I talked to said to me that it's more better to let the pc in standby mode instead of shutting it down and then starts again in later time. Most of the time, I only use my pc for only 2-3 hrs a day then shut it down and if I have to use it again maybe after an hr or two I have to turn it on again. :cautious: :blink:

I was wonderin then if its really true that re-starting the pc can easily wear off the hard drive faster and it is more better to let it run in standby mode to lengthen its hard drive life. How true is this? o_O :rolleyes:

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Its very handy on a laptop where you have a battery, set for auto standby after inactivity and its very quick.
    What though if it wont come out of standby, there can be some issues with it. This would be a problem if you have programs open and working on something. What happens if the power goes, everythings stored in memory.
    As for wear and tear, a small amount.

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I did several warm restarts of my Packard Bell box daily until I finally retired it after nearly 10 years of use. When retired, my faithful PB was still working just fine. {Why so many restarts? Because I was using WinME, that's why.}

Obviously any warm or cold restart causes *some* wear & tear, but defragging & imaging involve much more HD activity than does a restart. Besides -- even in standby, a computer sucks a goodly amount of KW hours. Since you *normally* use your computer only 2-3 hours daily, the electricity savings by shutting down will eventually amortize the cost of a new HD --- in case you should ever need one before you or your computer become technologically obsolete. :)

4. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Standby consumes power, since the RAM needs to stay active and refreshed.
    How would turning off/on the harddisk in standby mode be different from turning it off/on after power off?
    Standby is great when you leave your computer for a short time, that is not the case in your situation as I understand.
    Besides that, Windows acts healthier when rebooted once in a while.

Yeah, maybe I should leave my car running all the time too, since using the starter increases wear. You know? :cool:

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I see no need for sarcasm. Moreover, the analogy is faulty. Or was that supposed to be funny?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.