ssppyy software defeats most firewalls

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by lynchknot, Apr 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

This software makes me sick - especially since it can be installed remotely through a greeting card or picture. Do these developers ever think about software getting into the hands of malicious people?

2. VIVA Obrador

VIVA Obrador Guest

Just came from the ssppyy download page. I unchecked the license agreement box and it took me to paypal anyway.

3. wolfpack

wolfpack Guest

Funny, when I did a search for this program the 2nd search result (Symantec) said NAV can detect the program, and the 3rd (the website that sells ssppyy) said it is undetectable to NAV, McAfee and other AVs. Looks like there's only one way to find out for sure. :)

4. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

They are, basically, listing firewalls not AVs

5. wolfpack

wolfpack Guest

There must be some misunderstanding here Lynchknot. I am referring to this link by Symantec and it basically says, under Removal Instructions, that if you find any detections of Spyware.Ssppyy to delete it with NAV.
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/spyware.ssppyy.html

In the other link which I won't post because it is a link to the ssppyy website it says:

1. Is ssppyy detectable by antivirus scanners?

Answer: Of course not! Ssppyy is a professional remote solution designed to be undetectable. Ssppyy does not, and will not be detected by virus scanners. This includes McAfee and Norton Anti Virus.

So in the first link Symantec is basically claiming that NAV can detect ssppyy, and in the second ssppyy claims that NAV and other AVs cannot detect their product.

But it looks like I can't test it anyway because there is no free trial of ssppyy. Originally I thought there was a free trial. :(

6. watlingjr

watlingjr Registered Member

:'(
    All I can add to your discussion is that I was running Symantec Norton AV and Aurora software made it into my computer and I can't remove it for the life of me.

7. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

It is basicaly a commercial rootkit I believe .. it's one of those keyloggers/trojans/...with rootkit behaviour like undetecteable in taskmanager and apparently some of them for Rootkit Revealer too...

it's no good, I can say that but it isn't that easy to remove hence the rootkitlike behaviour. (Processguard protects against this in realtime)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.