ssm trial

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by lodore, Oct 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi, I am trialing SSM

I really like it, nice interface popups which explain what something is trying to do.

the problem is thou what happerns when my parents are on the pc they wont be able to deal with the popups so what do i do about that?

thanks in advance
    lodore

2. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

Set up a limited user account for them, then they'll be safe.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i dont use limited accounts and havent for two years and got no malware. i just want a way so i can use ssm and my parents not have to deal with the popups.

I used to use f-secure internet security 2006 with spysweeper's shields on only blocked tracking cookies so i turned it off and only used f-secure which atm is 2007 version. but i want to get something like nod32+comodo+some HIPS or realtime antispyware.

with ssm in the rules,applications tab can i select f-secure processes and use the protect from termination check box?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Why not to tell them how to turn it off when they are going to use the PC but it will infact fail the purpose of putting SSM on ur system.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Or if u are sure that there are rules that will allow ur parents to work on ur PC without any hurdles, then disconnect the GUI, no more pop ups, but as I said if they try to do something that has no rules, that will be blocked silently as well.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks I found the ssm forums and a mod answered me there.
    I will disconnect the gui when they use the pc. if there are any problems they can ask me anyway.
    im just checking all the apps that they run and setting the rules.

i will probaly have to add some rules when my sister wants to play sims if i decide to buy it.

ssm is a great app thou.

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

so lodore, you have had F-Secure for 2 years, surf the internet 24 hours a day, and never have been infected by a virus or spyware.

Man, I know 2 things. One you have a great product already and two, if I were F-Secure, you would be my poster child and I would have you doing endorsements.:rolleyes:

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

IMO.

but as you know im looking for a lighter setup. f-secure is great but uses to much resource.
    nod32+comodo+ssm should do it.

9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

If you use Kerio 2.1.5 instead of Comodo, you will be even lighter -- and superbly protected, as well.

Kerio download

Kerio support forum

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Thanks im gonna try that.

for now have uninstalled ssm its nice but i find it has to many popup's i know what to do with them but gets annoying after a while.

and im gonna buy counterspy cheap using that code found on another thread.
    so nod32+kerio+counterspy.

hang on is look n stop even lighter than kerio?

11. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

As to "lightness" the difference between Kerio 2.1.5 & L'n'S doesn't amount to a pool of warm spit.

The combo of SSM + Kerio + NOD32 is small in size, like a wolverine -- and just as bloody deadly.

12. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Regarding your original question
    SSM gives you the option to use separate rulesets and configuration settings for each user account (or user profile on 9X systems), including individualized window filters, which are an excellent parental control tool. This is most easily done from the user account you're making the ruleset/options for. I'm assuming that your parents have their own user accounts or profiles. The easiest way to do this is to start with your default ruleset, assuming it's complete, which is normally named "global.cfg". Make whatever changes you'll want for their account or profile, then save it under another name. The account user name works well. If you want SSM to protect them but not prompt them, go to options>general, and uncheck the "connect user interface at startup box. With the UI disconnected, SSM doesn't prompt. "Ask" becomes "Deny" when used this way. You can even hide the tray icon if you want. Just make sure that you set a hotkey for "show main window", and be sure to use the "apply" button or it won't be saved. When this option is used with a password, the hotkey will call up the password dialog. Once you have the rules and options set the way you want them for the particular user, go to the options screen, click on "Configs", then save the modified file under the new name. Then click on "change config file" choose "current user custom config", then browse to the newly saved configuration file, select it, then click OK. SSM may prompt you to restart it. This user account will now be running it's own ruleset and configuration settings. If setting up accounts/profiles for kids or one for guests, this is also the time to set up filters for whatever you don't want them to open. This can be anything from specific files or folders, the control panel, or webpages.
    In early versions, the UI connected setting was called "admin mode" and the UI disconnected was "User mode". Ideally, SSM should be used this way on all user accounts/profiles, in user mode. I run mine with the UI disconnected (user mode) most of the time, connecting it only when I want to install, configure, update, or run something I didn't want allowed most of the time. Used this way, the user isn't bothered with prompts. This can be set on a "per account" basis if you want, prompts on your profile, but not on others. One thing I should mention here. Running with the UI disconnected is the safest and most effective way to use SSM, but the ruleset has to be completely finished. If you, your system, or any other piece of software wants to run or do something that isn't expressly permitted, it will be blocked. You won't be asked. This setting doesn't work well with auto-updaters, especially if they change system files or executables. It's best suited for systems that rarely change and are updated manually. The auto-updater in "User mode" problem can be offset to a degree by using the "don't check MD5" and if needed, the "allow this process to execute any unclassified program" options. These are found on the application rules screen, "process creation control" tab. These can help offset problems with AV updaters and similar items, especially when they're scheduled and the user might not be there.
    Rick

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks for the long explaination :thumb:

14. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

lodore,

While I use LnS, I think you're dealing with extremely minor operational differences at this point and it's more to the level of personal preferences. Either will work fine and it's more a question of settling on one and learning to use it to best advantage (that's actually true for almost all of these products).

Blue

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks
    I prefer look n stop.

16. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Then that's the one to install and focus on!

Blue

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think we can,t stop him from installing and focusing here and there! He is in his early days of Wilders, trying this and thinkg of that.:)
    a lot of choices.

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

very true IMO.
    still havent convinced my dad yet....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.