SSM (full)-Give away of the day-24 hours only!!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by acr1965, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

2. shek

shek Registered Member

Just got the confirmation from here

3. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Downloaded and installed, enabled all modules, set for auto startup and placed in learning mode. Should I place SSM in learning mode or leave that unchecked? Thanks.

Gary

4. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

It is your option. Many run it in learning mode then run just about every program they normally use. After which the take it out of learning mode. How it is done is really up to the individual.

5. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Thanks a lot.

Gary

6. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: SSM is an excellent app, and it will continue to be as such. And this time around, there is a free offer dropped from the sky, any living human being just could not resist it. However there is a visible drawback to it, that is no future upgrades, although few critical updates may be available. We all know that cyber security is changing every minutes. Today's well-guarded defense could easily become a risk next day. Any security app w/o possible updates/upgrades is just like a still pond-filled w/ germ-infested water. We need a running water to bring in a fresh and germ-free envionrment. No, I would not accept this offer, no matter how sweet it may look. Sorry.;)

7. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

I'd beg to differ with this - constant updates are certainly needed for signature-based scanners where new threats arrive constantly but "behaviour-based" security software (like SSM and most firewalls) should only need updating if a major flaw or bug is found or a totally new attack vector arises (the latter being fairly rare). Virtually all of the improvements in SSM 2 (compared to the 1.9.x series) have been for new features (registry control, network control) and interface changes (a new logging system) rather than critical updates to deal with new malware.

8. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Good info. to know and well explained Paranoid2000. Makes it worth hanging on to for possible future use as I had planned.

9. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Good pointer, thanks. It serves an eye opener for me. I should jump onto the wagon now.:)

10. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

I nominate acr1965 for 'member of the week' for this one. :cool:

11. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

This would mean the earlier versions are still good programs to use even without the newest updates.:)

12. Dwarden

Dwarden Registered Member

i was really suprised to see SSM on GAOTD website ...

in past only "usable" software they "catched" was Astra32 and i missed that one :)

anyway great promo step from SSM team (this made life easier for PG users considering SSM)

13. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I have it running along side PG. Can't give up PG quite yet...plus, gotta be sure I really like SSM. I must say that it has improved greatly since the last time I tried it when I did not like it all. So, I am very glad I have been following the Give-Away-of-the-Day thread for sometime now over at dslreports. I had been lamenting there just a couple of days ago that I wished the site would have something I wanted ...lo and behold..two days later they have SSM! :)

14. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I reimaged my system partition and reinstalled SSM 2.3.0.610 today.
    I activated with the key that I generated yesterday.
    No problem at all, at least we know that now. :thumb:

It's not possible to create another activation key. That expired.

- Wilbert stores the activation key in the freezer now...

15. screamer

screamer Registered Member

There are several ways to accomplish a "tight" rule set in SSM. Learning Mode alone is not one of them. You can run in Learning Mode w/ Paranoid setting enabled:
    Options > Applications > Program Behaviour > (Check) Block Everything

Make sure that UI "is" connected at start-up & Re-Boot a few times.

Another (more time consuming) way would be to not use learning mode and answer prompts. If this gets tiring, turn off SSM and resume when you have the time and patience. This could be done in your spare time.

I still use Learning Mode upon initial installation of SSM and Re-Boot. Just to insure that the box will start up.

You could also use Process Explorer or Whats Running to configure Parent / Child associations.

...screamer

16. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

I ran activate.exe and copied the code it provided. When I went to register SSM with that code it said the code was invalid! :mad:

17. hake

hake Registered Member

Oh dear! Late again (story of my life) :mad:

SSM seems to be very similar in function to Process Guard. Is this actually the case? I don't want to pay for two products which do the same thing when one will do.

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ssm does more and updates tons with new features!
    lodore

19. zorro zorrito

zorro zorrito Registered Member

Hake, you came latter and I'm near to lose my code, I'm trying to recover my lost programs partition, and my code is there:(
    System safety monitor es more complete than process guard, and not dificult to manage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.