SSM and Hidden Processes

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by WilliamP, Nov 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I have had a SSM pop up saying that I had hidden processes running on my computer. It has happened several times. What is SSM trying to tell me? How can I find out what the processes are? I have posted on the SSM forum but haven't had any answers. Thank you.

2. Get

Get Guest

This is what Syssafety says on their site:
    --
    "Rootkit is a technique/tool to hide processes, files, registry keys other system objects from the system and third-party monitoring or scanning tools. Once a Trojan program or some other malware is hidden it can freely do bad things, like personal data stealing or system corruption staying invisible for users. SSM has a new Rootkit detection feature which allows revealing hidden processes for most known Rootkit techniques. NOTE: right now SSM Rootkit detector scope is limited by hidden processes only."
    --
    That's not to say that you're infected, but it's possible. I use SSM-free, but I think in the paid version you can also open the log (Options-tab-> under Log click the "View"-button). Maybe it makes things a bit clearer.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2006
  3. WilliamP

I checked the logs and couldn't find anything. I don't really feel that it is infected. I just feel there should be a way to find out what SSM is talking about.

4. Get

Get Guest

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

The hidden processes are shaded in red. I get those warning occasionally on log in. But once the system is logged in they are gone. I've checked my system thoroughly, so I assume it's something that when starting up appears hidden.

Pete

6. WilliamP

Thanks for the replies. As far as Root Kits ,I have Unhackme and ran it. I tried gmer once and couldn't get my head around it. Pete I think you are probably right. I have noticed that when I get the pop up if I go to learning mode then stop learning mode ,it will tell me that there is things that could be removed . After I ok it I don't get the Hidden Processes pop up.

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi William

That pop up about things being removed is some what different. I always answer that no. The reason I get it is I will plug in a USB mobile drive, and then I run an unlocking program. Once the drive is removed that process is hanging out there in SSM. By not removing it, it is there for the next time I plug in the drive.

Pete

8. WilliamP

Thanks Pete. From what you said it won't hurt to remove them. Correct? Have you ever tried gmer. I'm trying it again. I am pretty sure that I don't have a problem but I would like to be able to know how gmer is used. Can't find any info.

9. Get

Get Guest

http://www.gmer.net/faq.php

10. WilliamP

Thanks Get . I have read that, but it doesn't provide a lot of information.

11. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.