SSL protocol checking causing me all sorts of problems

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Surebrec, Jun 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Surebrec

Surebrec Registered Member

since updating to the latest version of ESS, a lot of sites have refused to load, and I've not been able to connect to minecraft.net within the game.

after searching round, the problem seems to be with SSL protocol cjhecking.

if I set it to check, numerous sites won't load, reporting certificate issues etc.

this wasn't a problem before I updated, but I don't know if it's a bug, or whether the option was disabled before the update and was enabled after or not.

if I disable it, there are no problems. is disabling this a safe thing to do?

if it is unwise to disable, what other things can I try to stop experiencing the problems it is causing me?

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If the game uses the Trusted Root Certification Authorities certificate store, it should accept the ESET root certificate as a certification authority. If not, you'll need to configure the SSL scanner to ask about non-visited sites and define an exception for the certificate of the game server. Alternatively you can disable SSL scanning.

3. Surebrec

Surebrec Registered Member

seeing as everything worked before I updated ESS, why would everything suddenly stop working now?

is it actually safe to disable?

4. Marcos

Have you tried the following?
    - with your web browser closed, disable SSL scanning and click OK
    - check the Certification Authorities list in Internet Explorer as well as in other browsers you may use and make sure the ESET root certificate is not listed. If it is, remove it manually.
    - enable SSL scanning

5. Marcos

I, for one, wouldn't enable SSL scanning as it causes more problems with certificates than good from the principle.

6. bwb1

bwb1 Registered Member

Is this (SSL scanning) the same as the current workaround to do with Windows Update to get it to work?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.