SSL filtering blocks Windows Update

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by pegas, Jul 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Just to report that enabled SSL filtering blocks Windows Update. Whole day I was getting 80072F8F when checking WU. Microsoft's KB was not of any help, so I googled the error and found out on one forum that I need to disable SSL filtering. I realized that I am having enabled "always SSL filtering" in ESS, so disabled it ... and... WU works. So ESS folks should take a look into that as I have never experienced such problem in the past. Maybe Microsoft deployed new certificates or ESS did some changes ...

Further progress ... I had to check option "ask for new web pages" instead of "always filtering" in SSL setting, then initiated WU and was asked to confirm or deny Microsoft certificate. I "allowed always" and now WU works again.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  2. a3_alin

a3_alin Registered Member

ssl scan blocks many staff... including firefox and thunderbird updates... So... Turn off...

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

This ^

4. pegas

pegas Registered Member

That's question ... I understand others may be plagued and it's annoying to have a security layer that doesn't work correctly, indeed. However in my case simple change of option in SSL settings did the trick. On the other hand, I am now getting a lot of certificates to be confirmed or denied but on the positive side I know at least what certificates are embedded.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.