SSL compromised -- article

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by j2callie, Nov 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j2callie

j2callie Registered Member

Universities struggling with SSL-busting spyware
    Marketscore software can intercept sensitive data

By Paul Roberts, IDG News Service
    November 30, 2004

See the article at:

http://tinyurl.com/5y8rd

They claim to be a new, better "product" and don't consider themselves spyware:

"CA's eTrust antivirus software labeled Marketscore "spyware" up until June of this year, but stopped doing so after Marketscore appealed that designation using an established vendor appeal process, he said. CA is currently re-evaluating the "spyware" designation using a complicated, multifactor scoring system. The software is less repugnant than its predecessor, Netsetter, which did not clearly disclose to users what it did when installed and made itself difficult to remove.

"Marketscore is better on both those counts, clearly stating both in the end user license agreement and during the installation process what the product does, and providing users with an easy uninstall program. CA considers Marketscore an example of a new breed of software that lies in the gray area between spyware and legitimate software, Curry said. "

Sheesh, they'll probably manage to convince users that it's no big deal that they're inserting themselves into encrypted transactions --- or rather, they just won't mention that you'd better turn it off whenever you have potentially sensitive traffic.

My question is: will my spyware programs make sure I don't get it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.