SSL Certificate not being added on Opera

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by MasterTB, May 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

ESS V4 *.424 does not add the SSL Root Certificate on Opera 10.00.456.
    I know Opera 10 is still an "alpha" but it used to work on previous versions of both softwares, ESS and Opera 10 (prior to 00.456).
    What changed?

2. MasterTB

So.. I'm the only one having this problem?
    Just in case you want to see it, here's a pic..

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  3. pegas

pegas Registered Member

It speaks for itself. You can't expect from Alphas to work flawlessly. There is still a long way to release a stable one ... presently Alphas (BTW, Opera 10.0 Windows 1497 Mac 6422 UNIX 4345 has been released yesterday) then Betas then RCs and afterwards finally Opera 10 stable release. I am a massive user of Opera with participation on our national Opera forum and as I see there, many problems are yet to be solved. So I am not surprised to hear your problem but you should rather report it to Opera support. They are very cooperative and they will surely care for. BTW I am having a few SSL problems in IE8 and that is supposed to be a stable release being spread via WU.

4. MasterTB

OK, so as Suggested by pegas y posted my issue with Opera and ESS v.4 on the Opera Beta Forum... http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=275890 the result? the same as here.. a lot of views and zero answers...

How is the problem going to be solved if non of the parts involved care about it?? BTW, the purpose of a beta is testing the product for problems and FIXING them right?

5. pegas

pegas Registered Member

0 replies doesnt necessarily mean no action is taken ... be patient ... believe me ... it is absolutely normal that what may work in one alpha build doesnt work in next build and for Opera it matters twyfold

6. MasterTB

Hi, an update, I have posted a bug report with Opera (N° DSK-253275) so hopefully we will have an answer soon.
    Also, there are other posts concerning the same issue with CA Cert Signing Authority, which according to Opera does not satisfy there requiremet's for inclusion so I will wait and see what happens with Eset's.

7. MasterTB

OK, so a new version of Opera 10 has been released and the certificate is still missing.
    I had some answers on the Opera forum but basically it won't work.

8. MasterTB

OK, so, is there any reason why Opera 10 has reached beta and there is still no answer as to why the SSL certificate is not being added to it's library?
    Come on!! I know it's not the most popular browser out there but a lot of people use it and trust it... would you do something about this??

9. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

ESET's developers have been notified, but please keep in mind that it takes time to resolve some issues, especially if it occurs in conjunction with a product that is in its own test cycle.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

10. MasterTB

Thanks for your reply.
    I just wanted to know it was being looked at, I have used opera for years and I'm not about to change it, that being said, I won't change ESS either.

11. MasterTB

So Opera has entered the Beta cycle and still no solution to the SSL problem.
    Hope to see it solved some day :)

12. wrathchild

wrathchild Registered Member

Opera is now nearly final release and there's still no proper solution. It seems that Eset developers are focused only on mainstream products. There is no support for TheBat as email client too (even before v4 I've remain without answer regarding TheBat).
    I hope Eset developers will change their behaviour.

13. pinjoa

pinjoa Registered Member

hello,
    POP3, SMTP traffic is filtered for all mail clients...

14. MasterTB

No. Pop3, SMTP specific Integration works with Outlook, Outlook Express/Windows Mail, Live Mail and Mozilla Thunderbird, which also allows for IMAP check and Anti Spam functionality. You can see that because if you use another mail client you don't get this message:
    "__________ Información de ESET Smart Security, versión de la base de firmas de virus 4224 (2009070:cool: __________

ESET Smart Security ha comprobado este mensaje.

http://www.eset.com"

Integrated in all your mails.

What you are talking about is generic protocol check, which is fine but not what I'm asking for.
    Also, SSL check does not work in Opera, it is a confirmed problem by Eset and Also Opera. I have Bug Ticket report from both companies and still no solution from either.

15. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

No problems here with Opera 10 and scanning HTTPS:

Attached Files:

16. MasterTB

Excuse me but your warning does not say you were trying to connect with Opera, why don't you show the browser along with the alert?
    Well this error message is what I get trying to add the SSL certificate on Opera 10.
    And when I try to open a secure connection to eicar... Opera gives me an error because ESET's certificate Is not on the repository list, ergo, it is not being added to Opera, as I've said a lot of times...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  17. MasterTB

Just to make myself clear:
    Here's an example of ESET's CErtificate at work with Opera on a secure site, and then the same site without ESET SSL scanning enabled.
    It's the Thunderbird add on site.
    The first picture is with ESET SSL, and as you can see Opera does not recognize the site as EV secure.
    The second is without ESET SSL and Opera clearly recognizes the site as EV Secure and give's you all the information about the certificate.

Obviously there's a problem with ESET's certificate, whether you want to admit it or not, ok?? And clearly besides the fact that the certificate is not properly added it is not as good as it should be, because if it where we would see the site as EV Secure, and we don't.
    Please don't tell me that you can load a secure site through Opera with ESET's certificate and see it as secure because I've tested this on more that a dozen computers and sitll have not seen it work as it should.
    and I have also reported this to Opera.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  18. MasterTB

OK, so now we are at the point where both Opera 10 and ESS v4 are stable final versions and still ESS does not integrate with Opera to scan SSL protocols.
    Any time you want to fix this we will all be happy ! (that was sarcasm; sorry)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.