SSD problem with Win 8 update

Discussion in 'hardware' started by djg05, Feb 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I have an odd problem with my Sandisk SSD in that it is falling off the BIOS.

Yesterday I restored my baseline image and updated Win 8.1 and all was fine. I left it running whilst I went outside for a couple of hours. When I came back I had the rainbow screen but it had frozen at that. Forced a reboot and it tried to boot off another HD. Checked in the BIOS and the SSD was not listed. Switching the power on and off saw it listed again.

Same scenario happened today.

So now I have reverted to the image prior to the Win update. Left it for a couple of hours and all seems fine.

I have run the Sandisk Toolkit and it does not report any errors.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this please?

2. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

How do you know its the SSD that is causing issues instead of the Win8 update?

Do you have other hard drives in the same system that arent having issues?

3. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks

Well I did imply it was the Win update, but since reverting to prior the update it has happened again. So I have written to Sandisk for their interpretation. Other disks are unaffected.

4. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I have been playing around with this and found that it was not the Win update at fault. I returned to the prior image and the fault was still there.

Looking further I noticed that it only happened when the computer went into sleep mode, and could be triggered by manually going into sleep mode. I have now turned this option off and the SSD performs fine.

I suppose the fault is that the SSD is not responding to the wake up call and is therefore falling off the BIOS register. Wondering if I should send this back to Sandisk.

5. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

What brand of PC is it and does it have a software like HP or Lenovo Power manager? Alot of times branded power managers can cause issues like that.

6. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks

It is a self build on an ASUS M5A97 EVO motherboard. This problem has only occurred in the last month. The SSD is about 6 months old.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.