SSD owners: Do Not Use Smart Security! Read me!

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by HKPolice, Dec 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HKPolice

HKPolice Registered Member

I am using ESET smart security 4.0.467.0

I've discovered that EVERYTIME I visit a website, eset will create at least 1 *.tmp file in windows\temp and then automatically delete it after the page loads.

At first, there was over 235MB of *.tmp files in there which were locked and I was unable to delete it until I shut eset off.

While this might not be an issue for regular HDD users, this is a MAJOR concern for SSD users because SSDs have limited write cycles, usually around 100K writes per 4K NAND page. You should move the default temp folder location to another drive and disable all drive caching within your browser to prolong SSD life.

So far I haven't found a way to disable or move the temp folder that ESET uses so I've set the permissions of that folder to DENY all read/writes and this SEEMS to have solved the problem for now, but ESET could be writing the tmp files elsewhere...

ESET, PLEASE FIX THIS!! Give us an option to move the temp folder!

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Temporary folders are configurable via system/user variables and all applications, including the operating system itself, write to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.