SSD and Virtualization

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Sode no Shirayuki, Nov 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki Registered Member

I read that virtualization software can be an issue on solid state drives because they have a limited number of read and writes. Should I be concerned about using Shadow Defender, for example, on modern solid state drives, such as the Samsung 840 Pro Series, or will the effects not be noticeable during the drive's lifetime?

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

No. Everything has a limited number and in the case of the today's SSDs, that number is HUGE!

Take the Samsung 840 Pro Series 256Gb which I use on this system as my W8 boot drive. Note it has a 1,500,000 hours MTBF rating. 1,500,000 hours equals 171.23 years!

If virtualization software were a problem, OCZ would not have virtualization software, Samsung SSDs would not be certified for use with VMWare and SSDs would not be ideally suited for Page Files (see SSD FAQs, Should the pagefile be placed on SSDs?).

3. Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki Registered Member

Thanks for the information. I feel better about using a solid state drive now.

4. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

You need to remember that many notebooks, netbooks, and tablets have been using only SSD drives for years now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.