srware iron: runas won't work

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by scott1256ca, Oct 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scott1256ca

scott1256ca Registered Member

Hope this thread is not in the wrong place. I don't see a better location for it.

I was trying to run Srware Iron using the runas command.
    I created the user, can log in as that user and run Iron interactively without an issue. But if I log in as another user (limited, not admin) and use
    runas /user:<name> "C:\Program Files\SRWare Iron\iron.exe"
    The browser comes up, but I can't navigate to any page.
    It WILL navigate if I start with
    runas /user:<name> "C:\Program Files\SRWare Iron\iron.exe -no-sandbox"
    but that disables one of its best features.

In the account I normally use, also the one where I ran the above, Iron runs just fine if I don't use the runas stuff.
    It may be something I have done that has disabled this. If I use runas from my admin account, Iron also seems ok.
    If I use
    surun runas /user:<name> "C:\Program Files\SRWare Iron\iron.exe"
    from my limited account, it still doesn't work properly.
    Can anyone confirm this for me on their own PC? I mean trying it as a limited user.
    Or anyone have any ideas what I could do to fix it? I haven't raised this on an SRWare forum yet. If someone else running as a limited user can get iron to work fine, then it probably has nothing to do with iron but with my config.

I'm running XP SP3 in LUA with SRP.
    I'm running Comodo IS, but no AV component. There are no events related to this in CIS.
    I run no realtime AV. There is nothing else that I am running that would interfere with this either AFAIK.
    There are no relevent messages that I can see in the Windows event logs either.

Thanks

btw CIS v3.14

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

You won't be able to run any Chromium based browser as a different user due to the sandbox.

3. scott1256ca

Except that when I used runas while logged on as admin, it worked. If you could explain why it fails when trying as a limited user, it might help me get over it. :)

4. m00nbl00d

I never tried it on Windows XP, by the way. I missed that bit of information. I tried sometime ago under Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit. What I found that would work, when running as a different user, was to have the account of that user open, then move to the account I normally use and run Chromium. That did the trick, If I well remember.

I'm not sure how Chromium and based browsers exactly work under Windows XP, because the sandbox is actually something that is achieved by something called low integrity levels, which Microsoft only introduced with Windows Vista and above. Chromium's sandbox is actually the same as Internet Explorer Protected Mode in Windows Vista and 7.

I found this, and it may help you understand why it happens that way. http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=31387

5. scott1256ca

Ok, thanks. that thread you linked to tells me why it won't work. Too bad. No SRWare Iron for me.

6. m00nbl00d

Try it by, first opening the account whose user you'll be running the browser as, then open the account where you'll be running the browser from as a different user. If memory serves me well, I think that did the trick for me.

7. scott1256ca

Just for the heck of it, I tried that. No, it doesn't work. But even if it did, having to log on to some other account everytime I restarted, just to get this to work would be a deal breaker.
    Thanks for your time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.